UV26 conversion to UV18?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20v, 5ah batteries. Several are mentioned on the site, but the DeWalt batteries are the most common in a lot of areas (i.e. buy them at any home supply box store).

It does seem they've gone this route as the default battery package for the P1.

I've got the original P1 lithium battery, and the real advantage to the power tool batteries is that when these things get old and lose power, you can just buy new tool batteries instead of spending a fortune on a whole new pack. The empty sleeve plus 4 batteries and a charger are cheaper for someone in Canada than the lithium pack. Mostly thanks to 'deals' for the power tool batteries and lower shipping charges. Plus a much lower customs courier extortion charge.

Exactly. DiveXtras currently charges $839 for a new Lithium batter for non PTB version of the P1, and by lithium DPV battery standards, that is actually a good price, as most start around $1000.

However with the P1 PTB, you can get four Enegitech DCB-205 batteries for $126, and a set of DeWalt DCB 205s for $236. That also means you can afford two sets of batteries and swap them between dives with no need to charge the scooter batteries between dives.

@DA Aquamaster of note, the stock p1 battery is rated at 384wh. The Dewalt "20v" batteries are really 18v batteries as they're 5s packs so they're 90wh new so the pack is 360wh with 2s2p configuration. Bit less, not that significant, but it will have lower runtime and is a few pounds heavier. Totally worth it IMO, just point it out.

I've done a few Uv18/26 to UV40 converts. Doing two more soon. It's only 26lbs less, but that 26lbs makes a heck of a difference.

Let me know if you want to go 40ah in an 18 tube. I'll tell you how to do it. It's about $600

I've done a few Uv18/26 to UV40 converts. Doing two more soon. It's only 26lbs less, but that 26lbs makes a heck of a difference.

Let me know if you want to go 40ah in an 18 tube. I'll tell you how to do it. It's about $600

I've got a UV-18, was considering finding someone to swap tubes and battery sleds with to get into a bigger pack, but if you've got a good way of maintaining the -18's length, with more better, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

You can go with 8 - 3.2v 40ah Prismatic Batteries in series which will give you 25.6v. It fits snugly in an UV18 tube. It's good for 1000-2000 cycles, (depending on which literature you believe).

I use these... From this vendor... I've built several and haven't had a problem yet. To the best of my knowledge, my first scooter is still running from more than 5 years ago.
LiFePO4 Prismatic Module: 3.2V 40 Ah, 10C Rate (128 wh) --- UN38.3 Passed (DGR)

*edit*
It'll charge up to about 29volts, and then have the cut off at just above 20volts. It'll go for a LONNNNGGGG time.
Let me see if I can find the control board I used. From the same site for discharge/charge protection.

*edit again*
I think this is the control board I've been using...
PCM with Equilibrium Function for 8 cells (25.6V) LiFePO4 Battery Pack at 40A limited

@DA Aquamaster of note, the stock p1 battery is rated at 384wh. The Dewalt "20v" batteries are really 18v batteries as they're 5s packs so they're 90wh new so the pack is 360wh with 2s2p configuration. Bit less, not that significant, but it will have lower runtime and is a few pounds heavier. Totally worth it IMO, just point it out.

Yes, it's losing 24 wh compared to the regular P1 battery - but a second set of batteries is comparatively inexpensive and you can swap them out between dives. You can also add another battery section and have 720 wh.

(emphasis in bold is mine). Yes, but only when new. My P1 battery hasn't had that power in quite some while. The only way to "get that back" is for me to buy a whole new battery pack, which in Canada is nowhere NEAR the numbers quoted in this thread. Between our crappy dollar value and courier border charges, you can almost double the cost of a new P1 battery when it arrives at my door.

On the other hand, the bare case for power tool batteries is rather reasonable. Better yet, between the box stores and amazon.ca, I can get four power tool batteries for the same price as in the USA, which is both a great deal and quite amazing.

If they start to fail, I can just replace the one or ones that need it. Overall a much better deal for me.

Yeah, I'd rather just have 1000wh and 2000 cycles. :)

You can go with 8 - 3.2v 40ah Prismatic Batteries in series which will give you 25.6v. It fits snugly in an UV18 tube. It's good for 1000-2000 cycles, (depending on which literature you believe).

I use these... From this vendor... I've built several and haven't had a problem yet. To the best of my knowledge, my first scooter is still running from more than 5 years ago.
LiFePO4 Prismatic Module: 3.2V 40 Ah, 10C Rate (128 wh) --- UN38.3 Passed (DGR)

*edit*
It'll charge up to about 29volts, and then have the cut off at just above 20volts. It'll go for a LONNNNGGGG time.
Let me see if I can find the control board I used. From the same site for discharge/charge protection.

*edit again*
I think this is the control board I've been using...
PCM with Equilibrium Function for 8 cells (25.6V) LiFePO4 Battery Pack at 40A limited

I will be touching base with you to do this with my (new to me) UV-18 before too long..

Back
Top Bottom