UW camera with UW housing..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dburg30

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My search abilities seem to be failing today :).

I know somewhere I saw a thread talking about UW cameras in an UW case, so if you had a partial flood, you may not lose the camera since the camera itself was waterproof also.

Thought canon made one, and maybe nikon? Looking obviously at P&S size for something like that.

Any help with what model WP cameras also have WP housings available..

Thanks
:D

Olympus maybe.....?

I remember renting a camera/case and I think the camera was an Olympus "waterpoof" type

Olympus "Tough" series. I think the current ones are 3000, 6010 & 8010? Canon D10, Sony TX-5, Panasonic makes one too, can't remember what it's called but you can Google Panasonic underwater camera and you'll find it. I know there are UW housings for the Olympus 8 series, and I believe the Canon as well. Don't know about the others.
As far as flooding, people worry about it too much. If you take care of your housing and are careful setting up your camera it seldom happens. So far, I've flooded my strobes plenty, but never a camera. There are better cameras out there than the waterproof ones, as far as shooting underwater, but people seem to have good luck with the Tough 8000 series and they've received good reviews.

Olympus "Stylus Tough" model cameras

STYLUS TOUGH-8010, STYLUS TOUGH-6020, STYLUS TOUGH-3000

Ikelite has housings for all three.

These cameras are waterproof to limited depths ranging from 10 to 33 feet depending on the model.

If your housing floods at 80 feet will the camera flood because of the pressure from that depth?

None of the three have manual shooting modes or RAW capability. The 8010 has a suggested price of $379.00 + an Ike housing at $260.00. Almost $650.00 for a camera setup that has no manual settings or RAW? Not a good idea IMO.

Canon S95 about $400. + Canon housing about $200. $600.00 total or less for a camera that has manual settings and RAW capability.

You be the judge.

My search abilities seem to be failing today :).

I know somewhere I saw a thread talking about UW cameras in an UW case, so if you had a partial flood, you may not lose the camera since the camera itself was waterproof also.

Thought canon made one, and maybe nikon? Looking obviously at P&S size for something like that.

Any help with what model WP cameras also have WP housings available..

Thanks
:D

You can also buy a Panasonic DMC-TS2 (FT2) UW camera (DMC-TS2/DMC-FT2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global) with original UW housing for it (DMC-TS2/DMC-FT2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global) or even Ikelite one (Underwater Housing for Panasonic Digital Camera).

There is no UW housings for Canon D10 and Sony TX5.

Panasonic DMC-TS2 (FT2) is undoubtedly the best compact P&S UW camera (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...6883-sharm-el-sheikh-9-16-october-2010-a.html)!

Typical UW photo taken in full auto UW mode (no post processed, just resized)

Olympus 8010
PA150507_8010-vi.jpg

Panasonic TS2 (FT2)
P1010332_FT2-vi.jpg

Panasonic DMC-TS2 (FT2) is undoubtedly the best compact P&S UW camera

With all due respect I have to disagree with you :eyebrow:

IMO there is no substitute for shooting RAW with non-strobe pics and the DMC-TS2 does not have RAW capability. You cannot post-process the white balance on JPEG's as you can with a RAW photo.

The DMC-TS2 does not have manual modes such as Tv, Av or M. IMO the M mode yields the best results especially when using a slave strobe. Even RAW shots using a strobe can be better adjusted in post-processing than JPEG's

If you want to call the Panasonic DMC-LX5 which has RAW and manual settings one of the best compact underwater cameras then I would have to agree with you :D

It seems there was a misunderstanding, I wrote about "out of the box" UW cameras, like Olympus Tough & SW, Pentax W, Canon D10, Panasonic TS (FT) and Sony TX5:
"Panasonic DMC-TS2 (FT2) is undoubtedly the best compact P&S UW camera" and DMC-LX5 is NOT out of the box compact P&S UW camera!!!

And YES, I agree with you, that almost all the cameras with manual settings and RAW recording options are better than this (out of the box) UW cameras, I am using and LX5 is probably one of the best.

Last edited:
I've to agree with Gilligan - for UW - manual mode and RAW is important (although for me, manual mode will take first priority- I'm not very often using RAW).
Sure, not as good as RAW, but you still can "restore" the red color with PS underwater action.
For $600 budget I'll choose S95 w/ Canon housing. Canon housing is not the best housing, I recommend to have leak detector ($25) and "ultrathin high absorbent woman pad" + insurance (if available) as additional protection.

Wisnu, in fact my answer was related to Larry C, who mentioned almost all out of the box UW cameras except the best of them, Panasonic DMC-TS2 (FT2).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom