UW photo at night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week I've just used my Canon A570IS + WP-CD 12 for the first time.
During the dive excursion we had 2 night dives. I did not use the photo gear UW at night. I have no external strobe.
Diving at night includes holding the lantern with your right hand, the hand where it is supposed to hold the camera. Left hand reserved for other tasks, like holding to a stone or handling your scuba gear (knife, regulator, BC, etc).
Besides, without an external strobe, can the camera focus on objects UW at night? Is the lantern or torch light enough for the camera to get focus ?
The internal strobe or flash would be enough at night and at what distance ?

A strobe would be nice to have a strobe...but a dive light would suffice. Any little bit of light helps in UW photography. The light illuminates the subject matter and also helps the camera to focus. Some people have strobes AND focus lights. Here's an example of what my old set-up:

If you don't need/want to use a strobe, just get a handle/tray where you can attach a dive light...it'll be handy for a night dive or a swim-through.

Hi fatbadak :

Thanks for the info and the pics of your gear. Understood the idea. In your right hand you will carry the camera and light in the same harness, leaving the left hand for the BC and so on.

No problemo. There's actually a plastic clip thing tht I attach one end to the tray and the other to my D-ring on the left shoulder harness of my BCD. That way your hands are free, the camera is securely clipped...just stretch it out when you wanna take a picture. Otherwise it's too much hassle to carry the camera in your hand ALL the time.

I think i've some examples in my Albums here, if not try my flickr page in my signature below.

The new INON 2000S has a focus light built into it. The focus light can be used as a dive light. It is shut off automatically when the strobe fires and then turns back on.

Most good strobes have a focus light within them. Shooting UW at night requires a significant amount of light - which a dive light won't provide. I doubt you'd be happy with the result of an internal flash - not sure what housing you're using etc..

Most importantly though - if you're not comfortable holding your torch and your camera gear through a dive while maintaining your ability to function all related dive safety gear I'd strongly suggest you get a few more dives, especially night dives, under your belt.. Your safety is more important than any photo you'll ever take.

I've been doing this photography thing for a while and underwater photography at night can be most challenging.. Remember, your camera is not designed to take pictures in the dark above the surface - it doesn't get easier in the 3-D underwater world.. :)

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom