UW video with coolpix type cameras and a housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeSSS

Registered
Reaction score
I want a camera to do video, 640 x 480 at 30fps, from an RC plane and also underwater video using a housing. Nikon has made the 5900 and 7900 and today they make the P2. Housings are available for these from Ikelite, Fantasea and maybe Nikon.

The diving will be in a local lake, Key Largo, Cozumel and on rig trips in the Texas Gulf.

I don't want to use a flash because of backscatter if I take stills. But, I might use my 8D cell light hand held for stills and video to show the colors.

Mostly I just want to be able to relive the dives later and show the wife what it is we do.

Right now I'm using $10 disposible cameras because they don't have shutter lag and I can get good action pics of spearfishing. As an example, on one rig trip I got two pics of fish hits where the fish are cavitating the water with their tails when hit. I wouldn't be able to get those with a digital unless perhaps going through manual mode setup beforehand and that's not going to happen.

I gave up on my Ikelite housing for disposible cameras after one camera had something turn on it's flash and the resulting backscatter ruined all the pics I took with it. So I need a camera that I can turn the flash off manually, like on my Sony 717.

Cost is a factor since the camera will eventually explode into pieces in a crash, or flood in the housing and I don't want to cry when it happens.

What little cameras and housings do you recommend?

The Nikon housing is the best value and operates all the functions. Unfortunately it is made of unobtanium last I checked so make sure they are available. The Fantasea has limited button control. The Ikelite is pricey but well made. Don't count on super video from a still camera. It will be web cam quality most likely.

The flash is your friend. Don't shoot in poor water. Visibility should be 7x shooting distance.

I have Sony DSC-W7 and the Sony MPK-WA housing. Takes pretty good videos, but chews up a lot of memory...I think you can get something like 11 min on a gig. The 7.2 mp stills look great. Check out my manatee pics. The viz there was poor, and for the most part, (even with the flash) the housing's diffuser worked well to reduce backscatter. Those pics were taken the very first time I used my housing. Thought they are good considering I was a newbie with new equipment. I can use all functions on my camera with this housing. BTW, viz that day was maybe 10 feet. Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom