Uwatec / Aladin Smart Tec - any experience out there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irish_diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My Aladin Air died recently after eight years perfect service - may have to do with an ultrasound bath - ScubaPro will not repair - only offer an upgrade. WARNING: do not allow even part of your computer into an ultrasound bath.

Anyways - I need a new computer and I am looking at the new Smart Tec http://uk.uwatec.com/products/sm_tec_wrist/sm_tec_wrist.asp

Does anyone have any experience with this device ?

Thanks

irish_diver:
My Aladin Air died recently after eight years perfect service - may have to do with an ultrasound bath - ScubaPro will not repair - only offer an upgrade. WARNING: do not allow even part of your computer into an ultrasound bath.

Anyways - I need a new computer and I am looking at the new Smart Tec http://uk.uwatec.com/products/sm_tec_wrist/sm_tec_wrist.asp

Does anyone have any experience with this device ?

Thanks

I have been using a Smart tec since January this year. Firstly, I have have done 120 dives with it. The first twenty something went wrong with the computer so Scubapro/Uwatec replaced it. Since then I haven't had any problems. The infrared download feature is great, no cable and no expensive Memomouse to contend with. I download mine to a Ipaq Pocket PC and my main PC. Both have good software.

Now for the downer. Before you even order one. Check that the transmitter will actually fit and seal on your 1st stage reg. The transmitter with this computer is much bigger than the Air Z models. Now if it does seal. check that you can actually screw a hose into the next port. Uwatec do sell a short piece of hose for the transmitter to attach to to solve this problem, but I am not keen on it.

Yes, i have the smart tech wrist. mine quit on me while on vacation. i returned it to my LDS, they sent it in to Uwatec. it got reprogrammed and sent back. about 40 dives later and no problems. i don't like the fact that i have to down load profiles to get my start and end times with the amount of air used but i didn't want to go with the Vytec which is more conservative but gives you all the pertinent log info without tethering you to a desktop, laptop or pda to get what i consider the basic info.

Jason

Thank you both for your replies.

Sounds like I will go ahead with the Smart Tec, but I will bring my first stage with me when I purchase.

Thanks Again

D

Back
Top Bottom