UWATEC Aladin Smart Z transmitter battery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tazgator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have a Aladin Smart Z that while the wrist unit subscribes to Scubapro's "Batteries for life" program, the transmitter is another story. A tech at my LDS believed that the particular transmitter for this is no longer being serviced by Scubapro and that I will need to replace it with a transmitter in which I can later replace the batteries myself? Anyone know the answer to this? I did go ahead and order the Smart Z transmitter battery kit, can I do this myself? or do I send it in to be told that I can get a deal with Scubapro in replacing my old transnitter with a newer ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437541301.306391.jpgversion?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437541201.657862.jpg

I believe your transmitter belongs to the "second" generation of Aladin transmitters, which you can open up and replace the battery. As opposed to the "first" Aladin transmitters that were sealed and had to be shipped to Switzerland to be open. Scubapro just opted to replace the latter by the new version. Having said that, after unscrewing the three screws and carefully opening it up, you will find that the transmitter (just as any Aladin computer) is filled with oil. Furthermore, it uses a special 3,6 V 1/2AA battery which is soldered to the circuit board. Needless to say, after soldering the new battery onto the circuit board, you have to replace the oil before closing it up again.

Reactions: Jax
Thank you DIVEWATCHDOCTOR, I think what you conveying is indeed the case, and helps confirm some other information I've come across...

I believe your transmitter belongs to the "second" generation of Aladin transmitters, which you can open up and replace the battery. As opposed to the "first" Aladin transmitters that were sealed and had to be shipped to Switzerland to be open. Scubapro just opted to replace the latter by the new version. Having said that, after unscrewing the three screws and carefully opening it up, you will find that the transmitter (just as any Aladin computer) is filled with oil. Furthermore, it uses a special 3,6 V 1/2AA battery which is soldered to the circuit board. Needless to say, after soldering the new battery onto the circuit board, you have to replace the oil before closing it up again.

Hi, I am trying te replace the batery from my smart Z. Last year i succeeded and a week ago compuer showd a wrench. Ik saw that the batery was very low. I solderd a new battery in it and now i have de code E 9 . It will not disapear using twe same tricks i used last year.

Hi, I am trying te replace the batery from my smart Z. Last year i succeeded and a week ago compuer showd a wrench. Ik saw that the batery was very low. I solderd a new battery in it and now i have de code E 9 . It will not disapear using twe same tricks i used last year.

Ouch. Sadly, the computer may have failed. Contact your ScubaPro dealer and send in.

If they cannot fix it, they may offer you a good deal on a newer, refurbished model.

The battery is a LS 14500, 3.6 V and should last from three to five years, depending on the use. If the battery was "very low" in just one year, it suggests the electronics in your computer is draining an excessive current from your battery, or, else, the battery you installed was expired. Code E9 means low battery. Measure the current being drained from the new battery and let me know what "tricks" you use last year.

Disconnect battery and try again. Cpu needs a hard reset. (Shorting the battery with a wire strap for a short interval also works)

Disconnect battery and try again. Cpu needs a hard reset. (Shorting the battery with a wire strap for a short interval also works)
I have applied both methods before and worked but never understood WHY.

This is a simple battery to replace. The only thing the "kit" may have beyond the battery is an o-ring. It is a matter of taking out a few screws, putting in the new battery and checking that the o-ring and sealing surfaces are clean. It should go quickly.

I have a very interesting conundrum.
Last year in November, I sent my Smart Z and sender unit to the agents as it was playing up.
It ended up that I had to pay for a new battery (Battery for life????) and a upgraded sender.
The integration never worked.
Last month the computer ceased to work.
I sent it back to the agents.
The feedback I got was that the sender was not the replacement one sold to me. The battery had to be replaced.
I regard the chance of a sender swop is very unlikely even though it is on a quick coupler.
The regs have been kept with my kit after each dive so the chance of substitution is virtually nil.
I bought 2 quick couplers so as to facilitate the use on the usual 2 regulators most used.
Second:
The connection point for the computer battery is broken.
Apparently it was dicey at last November's change. This is the first I hear of it.
The Smart Z was bought from the agent and every battery change was done by them.
I was told I need to buy a new computer now.
I would have to buy an older Galileo so my IR can still be used for connections or an new cradle if I went for a Meridian etc.
I needed a Memomouse for my previous Aladin sport which cost around R2000. I made a one way downloader for R40.00!

I have never been a Scubapro fan due to overpricing, questionible service and soft equipment.
My older Poseidons and Oceanics served me well and can mostly be self maintained.
Any thoughts from the global community on this matter.

Back
Top Bottom