Uwatec Computer Battery Replacement Scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
WARNING

Please be advised, anyone looking to use the services of a Mr. Kevin Edwards from the UK to replace the battery in an older UWATEC dive computer, should think again.

I sent an Aladin Pro Nitrox computer to this individual in January 2015, for a simple battery replacement. He charged me 33 pounds via Paypal, said he would replace the battery and that he would send it back to Canada when complete. It's now been 10 weeks since I last saw my computer. Mr. Edwards is not responding to emails or phone calls, and it would appear he has just plain stolen my computer. A fraud complaint has been lodged with PayPal, and is currently under investigation.

Mr. Edwards promotes his services on eBay, as well as through Vivian Diving Center in the UK.

This service he provides appears to be a scam.

kirk Leader
deepblueseaz@hotmail.com

Are you looking for someone to service your older Uwatec computer?

In America Brass Anchor is reputable. Dive Computer Battery

The older square Uwatec's are oil filled so it's not a simple battery change.

DIY is easy and cost no more than a battery(3.6V), small amount of liquid paraffin oil and elbow grease!.
Plenty of info on SB and you tube.
RS Component in UK can supply the battery with free delivery in UK.

I wouldn't call it easy. I like to DIY and I would not do it. Would rather pay $50 to have Brass Anchor do it.

between messing with the oil, soldering in a new battery, and the hassle of making sure you don't break any wires? Not worth it.

I change the batteries, with the real test in the water and reset charge indicator for uwatech smart pro via IR interface.

If the OP still had a computer, he might be interested in these posts! ;-)

For what it's worth Kirk, I ordered a canister for a PLB from a guy in Australia many months ago. After the initial confirmation, I heard nothing, received nothing, and couldn't get any response to messages.

Weeks later, he did reply. He'd been away on some expedition but said he'd mailed the thing before he left. He took my word that I hadn't received it, and promptly mailed another one which I received.

He may come through yet!

Good luck!

Last edited:
We also do change the battery to any oil filled Uwatec dive computer, except for the last series, the "Smart". These are the infrared interface models and we can not reset the battery indicator to 99% in these models. Check our website: www.divewatchdoctor.com

DIY is easy and cost no more than a battery(3.6V), small amount of liquid paraffin oil and elbow grease!.
Plenty of info on SB and you tube.
RS Component in UK can supply the battery with free delivery in UK.

Just a correction: Only the 2nd gen (post ~1992) Aladin Pros had oil filled batter compartments. The early versions with the smaller screen had a dry compartment with an oddball metric o-ring seal. I have replaced batteries on two of these myself. Its not that hard if you know how to solder and are carful removing the old battery without damaging the wires. I have not worked on the post~'92 version that is oil filled, but I have watched some youtube video and it does not seem to hard.

Having said all that.. I would call it an easy DIY if you are not at least somewhat competent with a soldering iron (and youtube).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom