Uwatec Galileo SOL Strap Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone tried finding aftermarket straps? For example, two (thinner) watch straps to add redundancy.

In case anyone is still interested in this older thread. I have a very good solution... IMG_5312.jpgIMG_5313.jpgIMG_5314.jpg Velcro One-Wrap 1 1/2 inch wide. comes in 30 ft roll for like 10 bucks. I left the pins in place and wrapped the strap through the pins but also looping through the battery holder gap for security if the pins should break. I left enough length to wrap twice around my bare wrist without leaving any slack to catch on other items. That's more than enough slack for a heavy drysuit as well. It won't come off for anything without you undoing the velcro manually.

Attachments

• IMG_5312.jpg
    IMG_5312.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 634
The Answer...

In case anyone is still interested in this older thread. I have a very good solution...View attachment 181490View attachment 181491View attachment 181492 Velcro One-Wrap 1 1/2 inch wide. comes in 30 ft roll for like 10 bucks. I left the pins in place and wrapped the strap through the pins but also looping through the battery holder gap for security if the pins should break. I left enough length to wrap twice around my bare wrist without leaving any slack to catch on other items. That's more than enough slack for a heavy drysuit as well. It won't come off for anything without you undoing the velcro manually.

In case anyone is still interested in this older thread. I have a very good solution...View attachment 181490View attachment 181491View attachment 181492 Velcro One-Wrap 1 1/2 inch wide. comes in 30 ft roll for like 10 bucks. I left the pins in place and wrapped the strap through the pins but also looping through the battery holder gap for security if the pins should break. I left enough length to wrap twice around my bare wrist without leaving any slack to catch on other items. That's more than enough slack for a heavy drysuit as well. It won't come off for anything without you undoing the velcro manually.

This would work if you can combine the velcro strap with an elastic, or if the velcro is elastic. Otherwise it's going to get loose if the computer moves to a narrower part of the arm or with suit compression.

How do you get the pins out? Tried pushing with a paper clip but they would not budge.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2014 at 01:15 PM ----------

Never mind, got them out, trimmed the strap, ran the bungies under the pins and made a two separate loops each closed with an adjustable fisherman's bend per daaquamaster's post above.

It is a raging success, instant on and off, self-adjusting for depth compression, complete redundancy, a good degree of adjustability, no bungee between the computer and your skin, and never again will I worry about that crappy strap or a lanyard for back-up or any other such nonsense. Just ordered some bungee to convert my wife's as well.

I cut the strap because mine had already torn, so no harm. My wife's strap is still like new, so I will remove it and use the 5/32 automotive tubing that Hatul mentioned for the filler, and save her strap, or maybe sell it on ebay to make a few bucks!

Thanks to everyone on this thread!

Last edited:
Adding a post for the archives and for those who may come looking for this thread in the future when their strap breaks. :) I just broke the strap on my Galileo Sol, and thanks to those who posted and it helped me with another idea.

My solution was a velcro strap slightly different from what was posted previously, and after one beach dive here in sunny Southern California, the experience is pretty positive. I found the following strap on eBay. Description "Lot of 10 VELCRO CABLE TIE STRAP 1.5" x 16" Straps Cable Wrap Ties Made in USA", price was $7.75 with free shipping. For 10 of 'em! I've got a picture of the item below, although what shipped to me was a 10-pack of tan colored straps rather than bright orange. I actually would have preferred the bright orange, thinking it would be easy to see if I ever dropped it or so I wouldn't forget it somewhere, but I'm not unahppy with the color. In any case, I fed this through the pins, wrapped it back across itself and it worked very well. Someone suggested earlier that a velcro strap, if not stretchy, wouldn't adjust well to getting wet, and that it would move around on my arm. This was simply not the case. I wore it yesterday with a 6.5mm neoprene wetsuit, on a beach entry though some surf, dove to 60 feet, came back out through the surf, and it never moved positions. It wasn't super tight either, just seemed to work well. Since it's 1.5 inches wide, it's no more or less stress than the original strap. While it's possible it takes slightly more time to don than bungee cords, it's really no big effort and it's clearly very secure!

$T2eC16V,%21ygE9s7HI7S7BRJDz4IUVw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

By the way, if you're having trouble getting the pins out, they just push out through the rubber using a watchmakers repair kit. You'll see the ends, just put a push pin in one end and tap it out gently and you can easily remove the old broken strap. Put the pins back in place and feed the velcro strap through and you're set.

Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom