UWATEC Smart Series: Voluntary Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it's pretty much a universal recall on all Smart computers...

I am glad I stuck with my trusty old Aladin Pro which works like a charm but I did come this close to buying a Smartpro until I read that negative review on Rodale's web site about the microbubble level suppression issues.

Does anybody know what happened to UWATEC? It seems their problems began when they were sold to Scubapro. Why were they sold and did the original UWATEC brain trust leave with or shortly after the sale? Who is/was the Steve Jobs of UWATEC and where is he now?

And don't tell me with Suunto:D

I dunno...one of my friends commented yesterday that Scubapro seems to be the newest US Divers as far as quality goes :)

Sebastian once bubbled...
Does it matter where the computer was made?

Mine was made in switzerland but I bought it in Sydney

It appears that only computers sold in the US are affected - you may want to call them to be sure though.

"Uwatec just issued another recall, Ken Curtis from Reefseekers just called me at 8pm to warn me NOT to dive with the SMART, they were informed from UWATEC an hour earlier. Pretty good service I recon. !!!"

At least our LDS knows customer service. :)

Somebody wondered about units bought at Leisurepro and like outfits. Intresting question, there are some pretty good legal minds on the board. They might know. My WAG: They'll will exchange it, at least when pressed. It's a safety recall, and I doubt they want any more lawsuits or bad press.

Yeah, mine went dead as I was ready to jump into Lake Superior and dive the USCG Mesquite. I guess I'm lucky it went then instead of on the dive. Mine was sent in 2 weeks before the recall was announced, so I wonder if it is at the top of the pile to be replaced? :rolleyes: Meanwhile I will continue to use my original Aladin Pro which has been essentially trouble free from the first dive I used it on in 1995. The relaibility of the Aladin Pro was the only reason I even considered the SmartCom. The problem now will be that even with a new unit, it may be hard to sell a Smartcom and even harder to trust that it is working properly. :confused:

Omicron once bubbled...

<Snip Snip>
And KUDO's to Uwatec?? HAH!!!!! Have you heard of the lawsuit going on about the FIRST product listed on this recall page????

http://www.uwatec.com/notice/chooseproduct.html

For crying out loud, pretty soon they are going to need a fricking pull down menu to select the product and it's corresponding recall notice. The ONLY reason they are doing this is that they would be in a world of legal hurt if they don't.

It is my understanding that the lawsuites are a result of UWatec's cover up that occured before they were bought by Johnson outdoor. When Johnson outdoor found out about the problem they moved to correct it. here is an article relating that information http://www.deeperblue.net/newsfull.php/512

I am not sure that the same comparisons can be made about Uwatec when it was owned by money grubbing back stabbers, and now by Johnson outdoor. Has there been precident that Johnson outdoor has tried to hide potentially life threatening information?

I am curious about how long this current product line has been out, against how long they have known about the problem.

No, there is no precedent that Johnson Outdoor is hiding life threatening information, I just have a very hard time believing any company would do something out of the "goodness of their hearts". They do it for two reasons - to increase shareholder value or avoid legal problems.

I'm just fed up w/ the computer - me and my friends have had nothing but a LOT of trouble with the computer and I'm very frustrated. How on earth am I going to trust this thing again?

I wonder if my LDS owner will trade my Nnew and improved smart pro (when it arrives) for a Suunto computer since it was his recomendation that I buy the thing.

Truthfully, I have been happy with the thing. I have had no problems and find it very easy to operate, but this will be a very big inconvience to me if I have to be with out it for 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom