V16 SCS Titan Yoke Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu S.

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear Friends,

What wrench size removes the yoke adapter on a V16 SCS Titan first stage? My measurements indicate a 25mm box end is correct. There are those, including repairmen, who would immediately attack this thing with an adjustable wrench or channel locks. What tool do you experts use?

Many thanks,

Stu.

I put a threaded brass rod into a LP port and then lock the rod into a bench vise. Next, I very carefully loosen the retaining nut with a 15" adjustable wrench. Make certain that the yoke is free to rotate within the confines of the wrench's jaws. Mares would often use a bit of blue LocTite on the threads, and it sometimes takes a bit of torque to break the locking compound free.

After servicing, I use a torque wrench to retighten the nut. I use 180 inch/lbs., or 15 ft/lbs. I always use the inch/lbs. rating as it is more accurate. I also use the same torque setting for DIN fittings on Mares regs. The actual Mares recommendation might be higher, but I have never found one to come loose after my servicing one in the past.

Greg Barlow

Thanks Greg. When you torque the nut, do you use a socket? I can't see how one would set that torque with an adjustable wrench.

Stu.

Stu S.:
Thanks Greg. When you torque the nut, do you use a socket? I can't see how one would set that torque with an adjustable wrench.

Stu.

I use a crows foot extension on the torque wrench. You also need to adjust the torque rating for the extension. Most torque wrenches have instructions regarding the mathematical formula. Some manufacturers' yokes allow a thin extension to fit through the threaded opening, and a thin walled socket can be used. ScubaPro evens produces such a socket for their regulators.

You cannot set proper torque with an adjustable wrench, or any wrench for that matter. Some claim that standard wrenches (such as a 25mm) are easier to handle, but if you are careful the job can be done with the large adjustable version. Plus, with an adjustable wrench you can tighted the jaws to a better fit than the fixed versions. To avoid damaging a tight fitting, you need the wrench to fit as closely as possible.

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom