VA Beach Divers - What is the Ice Barge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xjkip

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I can't seem to find any info on this wreck. I have Sunday Aug 16th free and was thinking about heading to VB for a some diving and Lynnhaven has this listed as their dive for that day.

Its a wonderful report about breaking off a 4' piece of pipe and flange from the wreck. I am sure it will add much to the decor of the garage or basement it eventually ends up in - obviously a lot more than it would have added to the dive site.

Believe me that piece of pipe missing will do little to take from the site, I was on it a month ago & all the pipe that was on it is now sanded in & there was plenty of it.
The 2 main pieces will take a whole 15 minutes to explore.
So unless you are into sand exploration, there is a large piece of equipment just off the site if you can find it, I wouldn't drive too far to do this dive.

Ice Barge is becoming one of Bobby's favorite wreck sites of VB. I was thinking of going to the Ocean Venture this weekend but may instead head back to the Ice Barge.

The Ice Barge isn't an intact wreck site but a number (approx 8) clumps of wreckage spread in a line about 150ft long. There's 10ft of relief on the largest pieces and a few low-lying pieces in the sand. The isolated clumps are heavily encrusted with growth and not recognizable. As Bobby mentioned in his report, lots of fish. It's just under 60fsw so it's often used for Dive #3&4 Open Water dive site. You can see it all in a single dive.

Safe Diving,
Will

You really thinking the OV? Sunday?
I am running with DQ on Saturday since Matt will be on board to get in 2 of Trina's 6 dives for her Advanced Nitrox/ Deco Procedure cert.
Set for the Schooner, but I'm pushing to change that.

Believe me that piece of pipe missing will do little to take from the site, I was on it a month ago & all the pipe that was on it is now sanded in & there was plenty of it.
The 2 main pieces will take a whole 15 minutes to explore.
So unless you are into sand exploration, there is a large piece of equipment just off the site if you can find it, I wouldn't drive too far to do this dive.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll try Kurn / Tercel with Pelican that day.

Bobby,

Okay, I was just pulling your leg...you can stop breathing pure oxygen now. I'm not going to OV this weekend. It's something we ought to plan though.

I won't be able to go on Saturday but Sunday is a possibility, weather permitting. Wendy arrives from the West Coast late Saturday, I know she'll want to take the day off from doing anything, so no trip for her. I'll check weather tomorrow and give you a call. I know Mike Delbridge is available.

Will

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll try Kurn / Tercel with Pelican that day.

The Kurn is definitely a better dive, never heard of the Tercel though. You can do 2 on the Kurn, stern & bow are not connected any more. The stern sits upright & is a good shape, lots to look in & see, & if you have time you can jump to the bow, better to use a line. Its about 50-60 ft & it is turtled.

A little trip report.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mi...ers/262580-trip-report-kurn-off-va-beach.html

xjkip,
Write this down on your dive slate regarding the Kurn: Distance between Stern and Bow sections is about 120ft on a bearing of 027 or 207 deg. Mid way between the sections you'll come to two posts sticking out of the sand - you're half way there.
The best place to hook the stern section is 36 58.195N/75 21.516W, it's the broken end of the stern section. The very end of the stern is located at 36 58.192N/75 21.490W. The break on the Bow section lies at 36 58.177N/75 21.522W. While I'm pretty sure Cap'n Dave has these numbers, it's always best to write them down. Trying to hook into an inverted bow can be challenging.

Enjoy your dive.

Safe Diving,
Will

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom