Vakarufalhi, Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
Visited December 2005

Vakarufalhi, like most of Maldives was hardly affected by the tsunami.

ProDivers have a professional operation there with excellent gear for hire and excellent washing/hanging/drying facilities. (They will wash your gear for you) Spoke to a number of people who were doing OW or AOW with them and they were enjoying it - felt that the tuition was good. A large number of the diving guests were returners. Dive staff are helpful, interested and efficient.

Many dive sites within 30 minutes. Lots of fish - especially quantities of large predators such as jacks, tuna etc. Then there are sharks, mantas, whale sharks, dolphins. Wide range of reef fish. Expect current.

Snorkelling in the crystal clear lagoon yields amazing range - morays, rays, wrasses, squid and startlingly large jacks in only 6 feet of water. Also house reef which gives interest every time you dive it.

Accommodation in cottages shaded by vegetation, facing out over the lagoon. Very clean and comfortable, well maintained, well equipped and really rather romantic :wink: . Good food. Staff are excellent and maintain high standards everywhere. Non-diving guests were also returners or already talking of returning.

Experience of one night on Meerufunfushi - if you like to be treated as marginally less useful than cattle and are into green mould and large cockroaches - this place if for you. And they reckon it's supposed to be high class.

pelan-pelan,
Thanks for the info, just the sort of thing I need to know. I am thinking of the Maldives for November/December this year. Which dive/tour company did you book through ?

cheers
Doug

Just had an email from Vakarufalhi - whaleshark last week. Whilst we were there one of the other guests also confimred that he had seen a whaleshark at this time of year - just as he got in snorkelling off the jetty!

Booked through Hayes and Jarvis who are part of First Choice. Flew out with First Choice airline. I don't think H&J would be the best deal - we got it as a last minute thing. A number of tour operators offer Vakarufalhi including Thomson (I think they are the opposition to First Choice.) Saw Kuoni at Male airport. Emirates fly to Male too. Sounds like a job for expedia and opodo.

Tip - check dive prices with ProDivers web site before you book a dive package in advance with the tour operator. ProDivers do discount for returning divers.

Back
Top Bottom