Valentines Day Dive 2-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOOP WOOP change my prior post - the street with difficult parking is the Cliff Drive Circle. The street with lots of (free, btw) parking is right above the north end of Crescent Bay and is in fact called Crescent Bay Drive. If there is no parking on Cliff, this is where I will be parking and gearing up.

If other people are meeting at the south end ramp, we will have to meet on the beach

Chris

PS, Mel - the directions given and the link to LSS are directions to the north entrance, just in case you didn't want to confuse ana

PS 2 - for a vivid description of Crescent Bay and its sites, see SOC Divers description site

Sorry. Won't see you guys. Plus, it would have been way too early for me anyway.

Will be at CP on Sunday.

I will be there at 8:00. Since it's Valentines Day I will be wearing red :sappy: . Check my profile for a picture so you can see who I am.

SO its crescent bay south entrance at 8:00... I hope I dont get lost. It will be an interesting dive for me becuase it will be the first time I am using a bp/w. So if someone has any knowledge about them.....please share.

ANA

Everybody check your compass before the dive. Crescent and Shaws are South facing beaches. Seal Rock is due west from Main beach. Deadmans is due south of the West reefpoint at crescent.

CA Diver:
Everybody check your compass before the dive. Crescent and Shaws are South facing beaches. Seal Rock is due west from Main beach. Deadmans is due south of the West reefpoint at crescent.

Yes, I know, but it just feels like North and South. Now talke about quality city services, the signs at the entrance say South Crescent and North Crescent, but you are quite correct, technically it is east and west Crescent.

The diving was good, but the conditions were going down hill and I was glad I elected to dive Satruday morning and not the afternoon or Sunday.

On the way over to Laguna I remembered I was suppose to bring a snorkel with me. I forgot because I don’t dive with one but in Laguna it’s the law. I called up Jennifer to see where she was at and to make sure she was still coming. We talked for a bit trying to figure out where this dive spot was. We hung up and before you know it I get a call from her asking if I am right in front of her. I look in my rear view and sure enough it's her. :eek:gle: Too funny.

Anyways I follow her for a bit and then she follows me to Shaws cove where we met couple of divers, Otter and his buddy. I take her down a one-way street going the wrong way and she hangs up the phone on me and won’t follow me again. :54:

We end up making it to Crescent and the other divers are waiting for us already semi geared up. I start gearing up as I swear to Jen and Hollie that my wet suit shrunk.

I have Chris come over and check out my BP/W setup to make sure its ok. I did have them fit me in the store but I wanted to make sure the tank was the right height and also the straps were in the correct places. He gave me the ok. So off to the water we went. One thing I need to remember is bring some clips for my dangalies. One of the other divers, Mick, lent me a snorkel. :luxhello:

The beach entry was a bit nerve wracking. I am not use to beach diving so I stayed very close to the experts, Chris and Pasley. Chris guided me in and needless to say he instructed me in the water with out getting tumbled. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

This is Paselys dive report:
Date: Feb 14, 2004 Time 8:54 a.m.
High Tide: 3:14 a.m. 5.2 Ft Low Tide: 11:19 0.2 Ft.
Vis: 10-20 Feet depending (and hazy at that)
Surf: 1.5-2.5 Ft on entry 3+ Ft on exit

Small group of about 8 met and went diving, including Chris M. We swam out to the end of the rocks on the north side of the cove and dove down in 32FSW. Then swam over the reef in 15-30 FSW to seal rock. Approximately 30 or more Sea Lions came out to play and got quite close and personal (4 inches from face was closest pass). They stayed with us for quite some time as we sat there and watched them for about 10-12 minutes based upon the lack of movement my dive computer recorded. When we left, they followed for a time and continued their antics. Conditions are deteriorating today and our lake Laguna appears to be over for now.

The exit was a little scary becuase the waves statred to get bigger. But once again I followed Chris out of the water and he called out directions from behind. As soo as I was able to touch the bottom my sprint to the beach began. I was so happy I didnt have to crawl out.

This was my first dive with a BP/W set up. As far as the bp/w goes I loved it. I really could tell a difference in my diving. On the surface the bp/w is not as comfortable as I would like but to me more importantly is how it feels under the water. I really felt a difference.

I think the main difference is I feel the bp/w is a part of me underwater. I sometimes even forgot it was on. I didn’t have lots of padding or pockets or anything in front of me. I could reach my tank valve and felt I had a wider range of motion in general. With traditional bc’s I usually have to adjust them frequently underwater. With the bp/w I was set for the whole dive. I wasn’t worried about it sliding around on me or loosening as the dive was taking place. It truly was a great experience.

After the dive there was a LONG walk back to the car with all the heavy gear. :walksmil: And that was a drag but luckily Holiie and Jennifer were there to grab my weight pockets. It was perfect they got one apiece. After getting out of the gear and cleaning up a bit we went off to lunch. We all sat around atable trading stories and going over the dive.

I had a great day of diving and met great people. It truly was a great experience. :sappy:

Ana

On Sunday I went to Catalina and dove with Arnaud and Ken. They gave me lots of great advice on trim and on the second dive of the day I was able to grasp some of those ideas and felt a difference yet again in my diving. As Ken says I wasn't an "Egg beater"

Ana

Above water photos of the day...

Ana (Wrinkles) and her BP/W; ScubaBoard divers; Crescent Cove

More photos...

The waves were getting bigger; beach rocks; the looooong walk up the hill

Ana,
In the winter there are usually no lifeguards on the beaches, so you can get away with no snorkel in Laguna. You shouldnt have stressed it!
Most of the time mine stays in my car when I'm there diving in the summer too. Maybe one day I'll get searched by a lifeguard (no thanks!) but I doubt it!
Glad you had fun down here. Crescent is a great dive. Next time ask Melvin to take you to the Shrine at Deadmans.

Aww ! bummer I love shaws I was there Sunday it was 57F and vizz was not that good (I hate low tide there)
Ahole bunch of people got slamed by the surf hehehe My Favorite part of beach diving watching the bowling pins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom