Vamizi Island Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LAjohnny

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all.
I'm a newcomer to ScubaBoard.
I am looking for any info from folks about the dive operation and the quality of diving at Vamizi Island in Mozambique.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Johnny

We dived Vamizi three years ago. At the time the divemaster was called Serena and she was absolutely fantastic. However, she left shortly after. Much of Vamizi at the time was relatively uncharted and as a result there was only a handful of dive sites. As well as this there were a few days when vis became a problem. We'd be mooching along a wall in 50-70 ft vis and then it would be like a snowstorm coming over the top of the reef.

That said, the corals we saw were the best I've ever seen - huge unbroken fields of it. We also saw things that we've never seen anywhere else - like a huge grouper with a very large porcupine fish stuck in its mouth. We also saw mantas on the surface and everywhere we went there were spinner dolphins. Lots of nudibranchs. From a diving point of view, I'd definitely go back. Bear in mind that you really are in the back of beyond here and you will be on the only boat that dives the island. All diving is done by jumping in a rib from the beach. If the wind comes from a certain way it limits the number of dive sits they can get to. In short, it's still very wild and well worth a trip to dive. Search the net for an article by Tim Ecott as he wrote an excellent (and accurate) piece on the island.

It is (or was) also ferociously expensive and you should read the reports on Trip Advisor on the place (including mine). We had rats, bats, monkeys and snakes come and visit us in our room...

Cheers

Tom

Just to add, there's another good article about Vamizi by Rhiannon Batten in The Independent.

the kind of conditions that divers mostly dream about. One particular Vamizi site ... has been named as one of the top ten scuba sites on the planet.' A combination of wild underwater landscapes, the bounty of tropical ocean currents and an abundance of marine life, makes Vamizi diving beyond world class.
In this incredible ocean environment, Vamizi Island’s fanatical dive team - which includes qualified PADI divemasters and instructors - take the tropical scuba experience to new depths.

Chilled by water from over a kilometre below, corals on Vamizi’s dramatic drop- offs (unlike most of the world tropical reefs) have not been bleached by the global rise in sea temperatures and make up among the healthiest and most pristine reef-systems you can see anywhere.

There is also a huge variety of marine life here: great shoals of tuna, barracuda, grey reef sharks, turtles and giant groupers, amongst many others.
These are the kind of conditions that divers mostly dream about. One particular Vamizi site, Neptune’s Arm - where coral gardens tumble down the edge of a thousand metre cliff so crowded with fish you can hardly see the view - has been named as one of the top ten scuba sites on the planet.

That said, there are also plenty of easy dives, shallow sites and snorkelling spots for the casual or beginner diver – still stunning, full of life and very close to the island.
Contact me I have dived there and this article is not an over exageration I will have more information on my web page shortly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom