Vancouver diving, any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubQ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi

I may be moving to Vancouver, and I was wondering about the diving; is it any good? What is the weather, watertemp etc like?
Also, as a non-canadian student; will I be allowed to work as an instructor?
Any comments on the issue are much appreciated!
thanks

SubQ

Diving around Vancouver isn't bad, but getting to the best diving usually involves taking a short ferry ride over to Vancouver Island or the Sunshine Coast.

Water temperature varies from as cold as 6°C during the winter to up to 12°C during the summer. Visibility immediately around Vancouver isn't great due to run-off from local rivers, but will vary from about 3 m average during the summer to as good as 10-20 m during the winter months.

Most serious divers out here wear drysuits year-round, although you can dive in a 2-piece 7 mm wetsuit if you take care of yourself during surface intervals. The diving community is fairly active, with 2 official marine protected areas for diving and probably 20-40 other sites around the city.

SubQ:
Also, as a non-canadian student; will I be allowed to work as an instructor?

Not legally.

Diving is pretty good around here. But I fully agree, I try to get over to the island or sunshine coast as often as possible. There is still plenty of life around here, and lots of fun diving to be had.

SubMariner:
Not legally.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'd better get myself a drysuit...

SubMariner, is that a yes in disguise?

cheers,
subQ

SubQ:
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'd better get myself a drysuit...

SubMariner, is that a yes in disguise?

cheers,
subQ

Unless your student visa allows you to work in Canada (which I sincerely doubt) you cannot work in Canada.

Did that clarify things?

SubMariner:
Unless your student visa allows you to work in Canada (which I sincerely doubt) you cannot work in Canada.

Did that clarify things?

It sure did, thanks

GDI:
BC is one of my favorite diving ,locations. You'll love it there
Thanks for that, I am starting to look forward to it more and more, and its good to hear that it is a good place from someone from florida!

[Not legally]

Why not ? as a student with papers to allow him/her here means I think any how he/she can have a job while he/she is here.

Also the diving around Van is great. The days can be wet but your a diver who cares. It is true most dive dry but I dive loads of days wet I have no idea why but hey. There are some great sites just North of Van and some excellent best in the world type sites with in a hour or two Ferry ride. The diving here is fantastic you will have a great time local dive groups can be found at any LDS. :new_olymp

Cheers
Derek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom