Vancouver Island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

In a couple of days I jet off to Vancouver Island for a fortnight. I've read many good things about the diving round there, and am tempted to try it out. I was wondering what the water temperature is likely to be like? I am not drysuit trained so would be diving wet. Here in NZ the coldest I have dived is about 16 degrees C surface temp, (about 61 degrees F) which was rather chilly, but divable in a 7 mil.

Which area is likely to offer the best sites- round Quadra/ Alert Bay area, or Tofino? I won't have my own gear and will only have a small car, so shore diving will not really be an option, though I have read about some excellent charters on SB. I'm into marine life and photography, if this helps. I'm AOW, 50 dives, 10 done in NZ waters. My partner is OW certified but trained initially with BSAC and it shows...

Thanks!

Depending on when you're around (and where you are staying) shore diving should be possible. I have a few spare HP100 singles (din/yoke) and could take you to a few good local spots such as Madrona point. The bottom temperature earlier in the week was about 12 Suunto degrees Celcius. A 7mm wetsuit should work for one dive/day maybe two. Visibility has been pretty good recently. Port Hardy has great diving, especially if you're interested in marine life. Anyway I'm located in Nanoose Bay, which is between Nanaimo and Parksville. The weather over here has been nice, but summer is pretty much over. If I can be of help let me know...

Sean

Hi!

In a couple of days I jet off to Vancouver Island for a fortnight. I've read many good things about the diving round there, and am tempted to try it out. I was wondering what the water temperature is likely to be like? I am not drysuit trained so would be diving wet. Here in NZ the coldest I have dived is about 16 degrees C surface temp, (about 61 degrees F) which was rather chilly, but divable in a 7 mil.

Which area is likely to offer the best sites- round Quadra/ Alert Bay area, or Tofino? I won't have my own gear and will only have a small car, so shore diving will not really be an option, though I have read about some excellent charters on SB. I'm into marine life and photography, if this helps. I'm AOW, 50 dives, 10 done in NZ waters. My partner is OW certified but trained initially with BSAC and it shows...

Thanks!
Water temps range from 43-52 F year round in our oceans. Most of us dive in drysuits but lots of people dive in 7mm 2 pce wetsuits and don't get cold. The diving around Quadra Island is excellent only Port Hardy area is better. Jacques Cousteau rated Port Hardy second on the planet behind the Red Sea. There are dive shops for gear rentals and several boat charters in the Quadra/Campbell River area. Port Hardy is only a couple of hours north of Quadra and well worth the trip for the diving. You can charter out of Port Hardy to "browning Wall", " 7 tree island", "hunt rock" and lots of other great sites in that area. The Marine life is amazing and visibilty should be 60-80 feet this time of year. .:: Vancouver Island Dive.com ::. is a great place to stay close to all the great dive sites. If you bring your own rental gear they supply Tanks, weights, all your food and accommodations. It is a great place to experience remote B.C. wilderness combined with awesome diving. Enjoy hope this helps

Thanks for the advice! Some great sites, now all I need to do is persuade my travel companion that he won't freeze to death!

We dove at Saanich Inlet and Quadra Island 2 weeks ago; the water temps were consistently 50-52. The diving was amazing. It was my first time in cold salt water (I'm a Great Lakes diver) so it was all new to me.

Wow...I'm married to a "Shark Girl".
Anyway... I did some diving in New Zealand a couple of years ago (Poor Knights and Bay of Islands) and loved it. You will definitely notice the temperature diference, but it's worth the effort do do a few dives while you are here.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom