Vehicle to pull a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a semi related note, and since Nemrod was asking for it. I have been spending some time over on a few Tundra boards and there seems to be a few reports of a Tundra diesel in testing in TX :)

Why is it that there are few diesel pickups in the US? All the small, double cab pickups, Isuzu, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc etc here in Belize and SE Asia are diesel. Maybe too slow for the US expressways?
But here diesel is cheaper than gas. I believe it's more expensive in the US?

Diesel in the US currently cost more. (but in the past it's been cheaper sometimes, but not often).

I imagine that in some countries that the fuel distrubution system is harder and gasoline has a shorter shelf life than diesel fuel. (could be a reason...) it's why the US Military tries to use diesel over gasoline. It's more readily available abroad.

Why is it that there are few diesel pickups in the US? All the small, double cab pickups, Isuzu, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc etc here in Belize and SE Asia are diesel. Maybe too slow for the US expressways?
But here diesel is cheaper than gas. I believe it's more expensive in the US?

I wonder if those import pickups will meet USA emission standards? As a side note, I don't think I've ever seen as many small double cab (4-door or crewcab) pickups as I saw in Bonaire. It seems that is all they rent to divers, and the do work great. Most even come with a tank rack in the back. But all I saw were gasoline, not diesel powered.

gas is prob cheaper in Bonaire than it is in the US. Venezuela is really close. Aruba has a refinery, etc.

I remember seeing 4 door Toyotas and Nissans in other countries years ago before you could find them in the US. But then again pickups in the US used to be cheap and have no features. Not they are more expensive than cars it seems (for a 4 door typical package)

The diesel double cabs have been popular in the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia etc since the late 80s. Most have a 2.5 to a 2.8 liter engine though and would be hard pressed to maintain 75 mph on the highways. The new ones with 3 liter and turbos though go pretty good. I never thought about the emissions though. That could be the case. Perhaps all the emission cleaners decrease horsepower and they need bigger engines in the US?

On a semi related note, and since Nemrod was asking for it. I have been spending some time over on a few Tundra boards and there seems to be a few reports of a Tundra diesel in testing in TX :)

LOL--TACOMA--not Tundra! I don't want a huge truck that will not fit in my garage even if it is made by Toyota. Like I said, the Tundra was big enough and now it is gigantic, essentially a 3/4 ton without the moniker. No thanks--hey---Toyota--the people who bought your cars for years and years don't like huge gas sucking anti -green, blasphemous beasts, all I really want is a super duty diesel TACOMA --MIDSIZE--of which there are several rumors. The diesel Tundra or diesel/hybrid Tundra is a sure deal it sounds like.

N

If I did not mention this, look up the Trailer Boat Magazine for I think April 05.The Toyota Tacoma faced off against all of the other midsize including the Hemi Dodge Dakota and defeated them all in towing acceleration, stopping distance, fuel economy. This is not the only magazine or road test that has put the Tacoma on the top of the midsize towing list. It will out perform most full size 1/2 ton trucks of a few years ago when towing. It is a stout vehicle aside from the weird composite bed which after a bit of use I find actually liking it. It is not a work truck, it is a sport truck. I also like the Frontier except I don't like the front fenders on it. It beat the Tacoma in non towing acceleration but towing the Toyota bested them all.

N

Bottom Line: Match the vehicle to the mission.:wink:

I find this as the best statement in this entire thread.
With that in mind I enjoy driving my 03 Ford F-250 w/ V10 6.8L engine. I tow a few trailers and my 75 Trojan Sportfisher is by far the heaviest. 8200 lbs boat, trailer, and gear/fuel. I also tow it across the great lakes area. So driving 6 hours w/ the boat in tow to dive in Lake Superior or to Lake Erie to fish is not out of the question.

DSCF0190.jpg

My previous ride.

No, I don't tow with the cover on. That pic was when the Tacoma was new and I was fitting the hitch and ball trying to level the trailer. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom