velcro on shear sheath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Longhorn

Registered
Reaction score
I mounted a pair of EMS shears on the left shoulder strap of my BC. I mounted them upside down, handle of shears pointing down. I guess this doesn’t really mater that much since it’ll be horizontal when in the water. My question is, does the Velcro on the shear’s sheath come undone when it gets wet such that I have to worry about loosing the shears. If so how did you overcome the problem?

I have my shears in my DS pocket, so it's not the same, but I use a short (2" or so) chunk of 5/8" OD PVC tube - the clear hose type stuff you can buy in a hardware store. I shove my shears into that at one end, and clip the other end off inside my pocket. If I ever need them, I can just grab and pull them right out.

Hi Longhorn,
I have carried my "sea snips" in much the way you have described, (except mine are on the right shoulder strap, to keep clear of the BC corrugated hose) for my last (approx) 90 dives. There has been no problem with the velcro coming undone. Just be sure to rinse the sheath after diving, and to check for threads,etc., that might compromise the "gripping' ability.
Good luck,
Mike

Thanks

I think I may back up the Velcro with a rubber band from a head of broccoli. That should keep the shears in the sheath even if the Velcro comes undone and it shouldn’t stop my from getting the shears out if I need them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom