Venice Beach 6/7/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will chime in on this one! Yes we charge $69 for a two tank dive, and now that it is summer I will let each dive go two hours if I only have one trip that day. Tanks and weights are included and I will refill for free anyone using their own tanks. But keep in mind I run a CERTIFIED dive boat which requires a high level of safety equipment, Coast Guard Inspections each year, a crew which has gone through mandatory Coast Guard training on safety of the vessel etc. The arrangement of a Certified vessel is expensive to keep up. I also have to pay dearly for dock fees since I don't have the luxury of using a public ramp.

Another factor is insurance - my liability insurance last year for the vessel alone was $5500.00. Now add in the professional liability insurance that I need at another $3500, etc. and you can see why I charge more. As for safety equipment for divers I carry enough O2 on board to safely keep TWO divers on demand regulators for two hours. I have a $1600 AED unit on board and have recently purchased an O2 MTV-100 unit ($400 for the unit and $600 for the training) so that we can administer pure O2 to an unconscience nonbreathing diver. As many of you know, I also have the only diver recall unit in this part of Florida and I use it all the time for safety announcements and warnings for approaching thunderstorms etc. Sometimes all of the above still isn't enough! That's just the way it is in this business.

So am I expensive? - maybe - but I think we're worth it!

As Paul Harvey says "Now you know the rest of the story!"

I will chime in on this one! Yes we charge $69 for a two tank dive, and now that it is summer I will let each dive go two hours if I only have one trip that day. Tanks and weights are included and I will refill for free anyone using their own tanks. But keep in mind I run a CERTIFIED dive boat which requires a high level of safety equipment, Coast Guard Inspections each year, a crew which has gone through mandatory Coast Guard training on safety of the vessel etc. The arrangement of a Certified vessel is expensive to keep up. I also have to pay dearly for dock fees since I don't have the luxury of using a public ramp.

Another factor is insurance - my liability insurance last year for the vessel alone was $5500.00. Now add in the professional liability insurance that I need at another $3500, etc. and you can see why I charge more. As for safety equipment for divers I carry enough O2 on board to safely keep TWO divers on demand regulators for two hours. I have a $1600 AED unit on board and have recently purchased an O2 MTV-100 unit ($400 for the unit and $600 for the training) so that we can administer pure O2 to an unconscience nonbreathing diver. As many of you know, I also have the only diver recall unit in this part of Florida and I use it all the time for safety announcements and warnings for approaching thunderstorms etc. Sometimes all of the above still isn't enough! That's just the way it is in this business.

Very well put!:yelclap: People need to realize that a business needs to be profitable in order to continue and there are many factors that figure into pricing not just the price of gas.

Several of us from Tampa went out with Steve about a month ago and had a super time. Got lots of Megs and there was never a hurry on anyone's part. We stayed down as long as we had air. Steve does a great job of show and tell with a large assortment of items on his boat and you definitely get what you pay for. We paid a fair price and got quality. I wish he had more openings and that in its self tells a lot.

I would have to agree that Capt Steves charters are defenitly top notch. I have been out with them a couple of times and never had a complaint. Definetly a great dive shop!

Steve definately knows where the good stuff is too. Each time i dove with Florida West, the biggest teeth were found very close to the boat. Everyone finds a meg each time i've gone, and there's always atleast one nice one, if not several. I'm going to keep diving with Florida West because they run a great dive charter.

I also have had the pleasure of diving with Steve Thacker and his Florida West operation on several occasions. Top notch all the way! And, how come nobody has mentioned those awesome cookies he toils away at in the middle of the night, to keep us satisfied between dives?

Seriously, he runs a fine operation, and I will continue to support it. After all, what's the benefit of saving a few dollars over the safety of yourself and your buddies?

I also agree Steve and Fla west runs a AWESOME operation BUT price has no bearing on safety. I am in no way attemping to down play Fla west they have been doing fossil and other diving for along time . I agree with Steve overhead cost plays a big factor in cost. There are other boats strictly to give divers a option BUT I only reply on this because SAFETY is always on my mind thus every requirement and then some our used. As a Boat owner and Captain I have thought of recall systems but not able to justify cost as of yet. I appreciate all the positive comments off this board . I will add more features to boat if need be to ensure safety is always first in which I think all boat captains and owners should do . I appreciate everyone's comments and always watch comments for ways to improve Customers service on boat as well as safety.

Last edited:
Ive dove with Captain Steve quite a few times. Let us also not forget his Mate Marie who does an excellent job. My preference is to stay with Florida West even though Aristakat is less expensive.

Looks aside, I can honestly say I never seen seen a mate/divemaster who even comes close to working as hard as Marie at Florida West.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom