Venice Beach Bash - July 9, 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi I am new to Florida and to the SB. I would love to join you at Venice Beach for diving. I do not have a dive buddy, if any one is willing to buddy up or let me join to make a threesome I'd appreciate it. I'm coming from Brandon, FL so you can put me on any boat time that works. If I make it onto a boat, put me down for bringing: chairs, Guacamole & chips, and a thai cucumber salad (no refrig necessary).

Hi I am new to Florida and to the SB. I would love to join you at Venice Beach for diving. I do not have a dive buddy, if any one is willing to buddy up or let me join to make a threesome I'd appreciate it. I'm coming from Brandon, FL so you can put me on any boat time that works. If I make it onto a boat, put me down for bringing: chairs, Guacamole & chips, and a thai cucumber salad (no refrig necessary).
Welcome to Florida, and mostly welcome to SB! I speak for everyone when I say, we would love to have you out to the party... (not really Venice Beach, but the next accessible public access south of the beach... at the end of Alhambra Rd). Having a buddy is not necessary, almost everyone is happy to let you dive with them and most will hang with you to show you what to look for underwater.

Having boats at the party is a bonus. Most dives will be made from shore... Most divers going out will be happy to have you join them.

What you don't know about the area:
  • Viz can be 0, or it can be 20'
  • Most divers feel comfortable inside the artificial reef and don't mind finding themselves diving solo
  • The artificial reef is a large number of seeded blocks that were dropped to create the reef, and are teaming with sealife
  • General depth for divers from shore is usually less than 20' (we like to say, "If you have a problem, just stand up")
  • There may be a few divers willing to strap off to you if you feel the need to be in close proximity, but due to viz it is easy to become separated from your original group

Thanks CoolTech, I didn't realize it would be 20' or less. I've been diving since 2000 so I'm pretty comfortable in the water once I know the general geography. I look forward to meeting everyone.

:vintagediver:

Thanks CoolTech, I didn't realize it would be 20' or less. I've been diving since 2000 so I'm pretty comfortable in the water once I know the general geography. I look forward to meeting everyone.

:vintagediver:
No problem. Even if you choose to dive outside the artificial reef, the rule of thumb is swim out to 18' and then set a pattern north and south at that depth

UPDATES AND REMINDERS​

There will be a tip jar for each boat for you to show our appreciation for volunteering their time and their expertise. Please be generou$ as they are being generou$ for us.

Please be suited up and ready to go before your scheduled time. This means in the water ready to board the boat. To ensure only one boat on the beach at any given time, we have a gap between the launches. This is also for safety. If you are not ready at departure time, the boat leave. Safety in a primary concern.

As always, we need food and drink. No alcohol. Sorry Jenny and Chad :drunks:. Please bring food stuffs that will not wilt or melt - this is July remember - snacks, munchies, drinks, paper products, clean up crew, tables, shade...and anything else you think will make this annual event a success.

Only a few have mentioned bringing tents or cabanas. If you have one, please bring it. Being out on the beach it is nice to get in the shade

Aristakat
8:30 am
Roxanne
Cardzard
Scuba Jenny
Hermit Crab
Brewone0to
Kurt

9:45 am
RDinsdale
Richie
Rufas
Susan

11:00 am
JahJahwarrior
crd_kats
Netdoc
mselenaous
Bob Parham
Al Hiller

Big Flat Top
9:00 am
MontanaFL
Scorpion2012
Kenny
UseMyLungs
Rebecca
tvtech-diver

10:15 am
ReefHaven
Kurtis
Safyrewulfie
Cub
CoolTech
KBeck

11:30 am
fladiver1
fladiver2
Artie
AquaPixie
NJD3
klister

Man Over Board
9:15 am
Jimw
DiveDivedm

10:30 am
COWSskateGOOD
Bigski
+1
+1
caloosa

11:45 am
Klinc
Shrkb8t76

FOOD/DRINK/ETC -

Mark/Chad/Kenny - Cabana, table, chairs, water, snacks, watermelon, garbage bags
Dennis and Roxanne - Cabana with sand bags:rofl3:, table, chairs, cooler full water, juice and sodas.
CoolTech/KBeck - 36 sq ft of table/tent
UseMyLungs - sandwich ring
COWSskateGOOD - fried chicken/chips/soda
Klinc – cookies and coolers of ice
Shrkb8t76 – Chairs, Guacamole, chips and Thai cucumber salad

DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO FOLLOW

Directions to the beach:

From the north:
Head to Venice on I-75. Get off at exit 193 and turn right onto Jacaranda Blvd. Turn right on Venice Ave (CVS at the corner). Stay on Venice Ave until after you've crossed the bridge to the downtown area. Turn left at the second light after the bridge - Harbor Drive S. Turn right at the 5th street down - Alhambra Road. Follow to the end of the road.

From the south:
Head to Venice on I-75. Get off at exit 193 and turn left onto Jacaranda Blvd. Turn right on Venice Ave (CVS at the corner). Stay on Venice Ave until after you've crossed the bridge to the downtown area. Turn left at the second light after the bridge - Harbor Drive S. Turn right at the 5th street down - Alhambra Road. Follow to the end of the road.

If you wish to use your GPS, the address for the condo at the of Alhambra Road is 633 Alhambra Road, Venice, FL 34285.

Park on the street as close to the dead end as possible and without blocking access to the beach from the road. Most of us will be carrying all of our gear to the beach and will need easy access without having to walk around vehicles. Be careful not :no: to block the driveway to the condo or to the homes along the street.

Should you need any other information, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thinking I will be bringing caramel corn and some $$ for the foodstuffs if somebody is buying a bunch of food rings.

Don't know if I can still jump on this wagon, but I'd love to join :D. If possible, I'd like to join Man Over Board at 1030AM. Patrick (Bigski) and I will probably be riding together.

Hi, I just moved down here a couple of weeks ago, and would love to hop on the Man Overboard at 11:45. My divebuddy Brent would like to come along as well. He's new to the area also. I'll definitely bring some orange brownies, but not sure yet what else. If anyone has any special requests, feel free to toss 'em my way. :D

Thanks,
Faun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom