Venice Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fox-Cousteau

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Traveled to Venice, FL and dove "the beach" there.

Viz = 10 ft
Water temp at 19 ft = 82 deg. F
Air temp on beach = 92 deg. F

I didn't see any shark teeth, but did see a diver exit the water with what I est. to be about 3-500 in a bag. I guess I need to get better at finding fossils. :D

What I did see was quite a bit of wild life. Sea bream abounded as did sand dollars. there were several species I'm trying to identify. I think they were Rock Hind (?), and Flying Gurnard(?) to name two.

Would I do it again? YOU BET! I really enjoyed the dive and could have only enjoyed it better if I'd had a little more viz.

Traveled to Venice, FL and dove "the beach" there.

Viz = 10 ft
Water temp at 19 ft = 82 deg. F
Air temp on beach = 92 deg. F

I didn't see any shark teeth, but did see a diver exit the water with what I est. to be about 3-500 in a bag. I guess I need to get better at finding fossils. :D

What I did see was quite a bit of wild life. Sea bream abounded as did sand dollars. there were several species I'm trying to identify. I think they were Rock Hind (?), and Flying Gurnard(?) to name two.

Would I do it again? YOU BET! I really enjoyed the dive and could have only enjoyed it better if I'd had a little more viz.

10 ft. is considered a pretty good viz day at Venice. Yesterday was approaching 20, but that's pretty rare. Where did you dive? The beach park near the pavilion? It's not the best place for teeth, I usually find a quarter of the teeth that I will at Alhambra. But if you met someone coming out with that many, it may have been Alhambra. That's where the pro toothers go and they will come out with upwards of 800 to 1000 on a three hour dive.

I was in the water about 100 yards out from the condos (see direction posts in Venice forum). maybe 150 yards out, it's hard to tell underwater... :)
we were over a black gravel-like bed of broken shells and lots of sand dollars.

I was in the water about 100 yards out from the condos (see direction posts in Venice forum). maybe 150 yards out, it's hard to tell underwater... :)
we were over a black gravel-like bed of broken shells and lots of sand dollars.

Yeah, that's the spot. Sounds like you were in the fossil beds too.

what should I have done different to find fossils? fan the bottom?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom