Venice Florida Megalodon Teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent the 4th of July 2009 diving in Venice Florida. Was treated to an awesome display of Megalodons and various other fossils and American artifacts. The photos below are of Jamie and Debra's Megalodon teeth.

Reference: http://aristakatcharters.yolasite.com/

100_3311.jpg

100_3312.jpg

100_3318.jpg

100_3320.jpg

100_3329.jpg

100_3331.jpg

100_3334.jpg

Let me tell you this first off. I am a black water diver. I have dove the Cooper River in Charleston SC well over 80 times.

The viz in Venice on July 4th, was 6 times better than I typically see in the Cooper River. In other words, I could see, without a flashlight. The difference being, when black water diving one cannot see anything when the flashlight is turned off.

We were told that the viz was bad. When I got to the bottom, I could see 7 feet in front of me, without the use of a flashlight. The water was hazy and turbid, but, between your mask and the bottom, there was clarity.

The thing I learned about teeth hunting in Venice is that the teeth are frequently covered with white and pinkish growth. The point being, one has to look for triangular shapes.

The teeth in the Cooper River have no growth, so they are much easier to spot than the teeth in Venice.

The most interesting thing I noticed is that the teeth found in Venice and in Charleston SC are almost identical in type, form, shape, etc.

Hi Lee,
It sounds like you had a great time. Those are some great photos. Thanks for sharing them. They even have one of my rulers I see. I keep meaning to get back down there. Let me know if you go again.
Bill

Let me tell you this first off. I am a black water diver. I have dove the Cooper River in Charleston SC well over 80 times.

The viz in Venice on July 4th, was 6 times better than I typically see in the Cooper River. In other words, I could see, without a flashlight. The difference being, when black water diving one cannot see anything when the flashlight is turned off.

We were told that the viz was bad. When I got to the bottom, I could see 7 feet in front of me, without the use of a flashlight. The water was hazy and turbid, but, between your mask and the bottom, there was clarity.

The thing I learned about teeth hunting in Venice is that the teeth are frequently covered with white and pinkish growth. The point being, one has to look for triangular shapes.

The teeth in the Cooper River have no growth, so they are much easier to spot than the teeth in Venice.

The most interesting thing I noticed is that the teeth found in Venice and in Charleston SC are almost identical in type, form, shape, etc.

wow what a nice collection. Did you go on a boat or off shore?

Back
Top Bottom