Venice Over Hunted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving Venice since the late 80's /Early 90's.

Faust ,

In your experience have you noticed any difference since when you first started in venice to now (other than the crowds that is) as far as the ammount/quality of finds on a given day? I have always wondered what the venice beds were like say 20-30 or more years ago.

which boat were you on Walter? your own, scuba west, or maybe beach dive?

In all honesty it always has been "hit or miss" . But for the sake of perspective my 3 biggest finds ( out of hundred's of dives many different sites and all times of the year) have been in the past 3 years. All between 5 1/2 and 7 1/4 inch megs. So given that Its only gotten better over time . I think I may agree that it is more a function of wave action and storms than anything else. The re-nourishment's over the past years have pushed a lot of the beds further out and limited finding stuff on the beach but its all just sand and it never stays in place very long . As for the crowds , how often do you dive Venice during the months between Sept-Feb ? , chances are you are lucky to see 2 or 3 flags in the water . As soon as the weather warms up the boaters come out everyone wants a cheap easy way to brush up on skills and get in the water ( most of those folks don't really find all the much). Talk to divers on the beach ask how often they get up there and chances are you'll hear "only a few times a year.

mlynch21:
which boat were you on Walter? your own, scuba west, or maybe beach dive?

Beach - found 538 teeth in 3 hours 48 minutes of bottom time, including a beautiful Hemipiristis.

Now that Walter mentioned it , Snaggle Toof's are ( a nice intect one anyhow) are very hard to find now .

Now that Walter mentioned it , Snaggle Toof's are ( a nice intect one anyhow) are very hard to find now .

Some of the best quality megs and hemis I have seen recently have been from the beach. Here is the nice one I spoke of earlier however found off our dive boat by Pete Hendrick. Nice tooth Pete!! tooth Hendrick 002.jpg

tooth Hendrick 003.jpg

tooth Hendrick 005.jpg

Last edited:
been diving for teeth since moved here in 99, have to say that this is one of the best years yet.

This is todays haul with FL West

Attachments

• teeth051808.jpg
    teeth051808.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 82
In the last 6 months I have found 3 large whole megs. 4 1/2 inch, 5 1/4 inch, and 5 1/2 inch. Not to mention numerous smaller teeth. I think the tooth hunting is fine. Like it was said the winter winds will churn the bottom and bring more up. If we dont have fun and go out there the teeth will just lay on the bottom undiscovered and unenjoyed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom