VEO250--Batteries affecting compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic called them "magnetized", but for all purposes what I mean is that they affect the compass needle. When one of our two new VEO 250's came from the factory with an erratic compass, their tech support told us about the problem and told us to replace the battery. We happened to have ordered two spare batteries from LP, and neither affected the compass. We installed one and the compass now worked fine. But we were down to one spare battery. We can tell if a battery will affect the compass or not by holding it on top of it. Both of the spare batteries did no affect it, but the "magnetized" one did. So rather than opening up the case everytime, I would just bring the computer to a store, and hold batteries next to it. Every time the compass needle would swing madly. I ordered another from LP (thinking to try the same brand, Ultralast), but it affected the compass too. We just got back from Bonaire, and the previously installed "replacement" battery from LP failed after only like 10 dives. We repaced it with our additional spare, but I would never use that brand again (even if I could find one non-magnetized) because it should have lasted up to 150 dives according to the manual. So now I have no spares! Wish Oceanic would chime in...I will call them this week and see if they sell batteries that work with it.

It looks like they have a specific battery kit for it....

Battery Kit
$22.95 MSRP

Pretty expensive comparatively. Will this overpriced (gouge) replacement battery be SURE to eliminate the problem for 100+ dives?

They told me that the batteries they sell are Sony, Panasonic, or Varta. I don't know if they can say 100% if they will work without affecting the compass because the one that came with my new Veo250 (from the factory) afffected the compass.

I might have to end up trying it, but only if they will send me a different one if the one I get is "magnetic". Where did you find the kit? It must include an o-ring, too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom