Vertigo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blodal

Registered
Reaction score
I am a newly certified diver. I had some ear problems during OW dives, in fact had to postpone second days dives for three weeks. Went to family doc to find I had an ear infection. Went on Sudafed and antibiotics. Went to see ENT. At that time everything checked out OK! ENT is a diver, we talked about equalizing.

Upon ascending from my next dive, I experienced vertigo (whirlies, as someone described in another thread). I had difficulties equalizing, but managed to get it done. The vertigo seems to occur in the last 10 to 15 feet of ascending. It clears upon surfacing, and does not cause problems after that.

Any thoughts?

:upset:

You are describing alternobaric vertigo, caused by pressure differences in the middle ear.

It should be transient (last less than a minute or two)

If you have not encountered the problem before it may be the remnants of your infection draining or mucus that caused the blockage.

If this is a recurring problem then the next logical step would be talking with you ENT doctor and making sure there is no physiological blockage (tissue abnormality) in your Eustachian tube. The Eustachian tube runs from the back of the throat to the middle ear space and allows you to perform the Valsalva maneuver to equalize your ears while descending. You may be able to overcome a partial blockage with a valsalva but the air cannot escape quickly enough to prevent the pressure differential causing the vertigo on accent.

(You may be able to decrease or prevent future occurrences by slowing your decent rate as well…)

Hope this helps...

Jeff Lane

Check old threads on vertigo and equalizing. Nasal cortisone sprays and sudafed and oral antihistamines all help in individual cases.

Always try meds before a trip to be sure your don't have side effects.

Your family doc or ENT should be able to advise you as to which of these ideas may be useful in your case.

Happy diving,
John

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. My instructor and I came up at an angle one time and the vertigo did not occur. I appreciate your help!

Looking forward to lots of diving!

Bill Lodal

Back
Top Bottom