Very basic zipper wax question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

princessaprilia

Contributor
Reaction score
snowbound Canadian fortress, AKA Regina, SK
# of dives
100 - 199
Wohoo! Got a Fusion drysuit! Yay.

This is going to be the best cared for piece of equipment since the beginning of SCUBA.

Now if only I can figure out what is meant by "waxing the zipper".

Yup. I see the wax.

Yup. I see the zipper.

From what I've read, I want to wax the outside of the zipper only. Maybe do it with the zipper closed. Make sure no foreign matter. Clean with toothbrush. Once per dive day. Don't use scented candles. Don't use beeswax if there are little bee parts in it. Got all that.

My question is...

How do I actually wax the zipper? Do I lightly rub the stuff on? Do I try to shove the goo between the teeth? Should I see a film? Should there be little balls of wax on the edges? What's all that wax doing, anyway? :confused:

All the wax does is lubricate the zipper. This accomplishes two things; easier to close/open the zipper and less wear on the teeth.

Simply wipe it on the teeth liberally. If you want to be anal to make sure it's waxed to all its waxing possibilities, the best way is to wipe it in circles as you go down the zipper. You don't need to open and close the zipper several times to "get it in there" as that kind of defeats the purpose and puts 2-3x the wear on the zipper. The wax will "get in there" the first time you zip it up.

princessaprilia

As you suspect the wax is applied to the outside of the closed zipper. The idea is that it takes a big side load to compress the seal and mesh the teeth. The wax lubricates the slider as it runs the length of the zipper. The idea is to get the size surfaces coated. there is no real need for balls of it and packing it between teeth will not be of value.

There are hard and soft waxes on the market. The softer ones tend to accumulate sand and grit more than the hard ones. The hard ones will apply best if they are warm. In cold conditions that may mean having it in your pocket for a bit.

The typical documentation that comes with gear is frustrating.

Pete

I'll add: in the dry suit maintenance class by White's, the instructor pointed out that the inside teeth of the zipper need waxing as well.

Nothing to excess, of course.

All the best, James

Always waxed with zipper open for my OS Suit. Best thing I've come across to use now is pharmaceutical grade beeswax. No bee parts. More expensive but the block I bought will last ne the rest of my life and still give some away to friends.

I'll add: in the dry suit maintenance class by White's, the instructor pointed out that the inside teeth of the zipper need waxing as well.

Nothing to excess, of course.

The last point is good, but I believe there's a significant risk of compacting increasing amounts of wax between the inner teeth, even if used sparingly.

DUI's manual refers only to the lubing the outer teeth and doing so kept my zippers going for hundreds of dives, usually ending in a failure only in a high wear area where the zipper was subject to creasing by the weight belt. The other areas and the inner teeth never seemed to have any problems. I was careful to keep dirt out of my zippers, of course.... :D

"The New Zipper Company", the maker of the BDM zippers widely used in drysuits (including military), recommends using a liquid lubricant on the inner teeth and a wax lubricant on the outer teeth:

sealed zipper care

Consequently, I now use McNett's Zip Care liquid lube on the inner teeth and continue to use McNett Max Wax on the outer teeth.

Zip Care? Liquid Zipper Cleaner & Lubricant

Max Wax? Stick Lubricant for Zippers

I wholeheartedly agree that one should try to avoid extra zippings and unzippings by applying the wax or lube prior to normal donning and doffing of the suit.

Normal use alone will wear out a zipper, so why add extra wear and tear when maintaining the zipper! :D

Dave C

Thanks for all the answers, everyone!

Frenchman, that video was a part of my problem. It only states the fact that you must wax the zippers, then it shows someone rubbing wax on part of the zipper, but I think they were assuming that someone had done it before.

Another question... does the zipper need to be bone-dry before waxing? Will a bit of moisture get "locked in" by the wax and do damage?

Not a problem on the outer teeth, I'm sure. I can't speak to using wax on the inner teeth, since I only use liquid lube there, and only occasionally.

I sometimes wax my outer zipper teeth just before taking the suit off at the end of the day, even though it might stil be a little wet in spots. The wax might not be sticking as well to the teeth when wet or cold, but it still lubricates adequately, IMO.

In any case, you should see an easing of zipper movement after waxing.

Just don't crazy on testing and retesting or working the zipper multiple times when you lube. Over time, with repeated use and normal lubing, it will gradually become easier to zip. In other words, don't wear it out trying to make it last forever.... :D

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom