very odd question for the forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DannyB1977

Reaction score
# of dives
I am a very new diver (only 5 dives so far) well i git a wild hair and bought an Oceanic pro plus 2 at a great price. but now im not sure if i should keep it and use it or sell it here on SB and use the funds for more diving trips. a lil back ground i am disabled and as such on a fixed income so my diving is basicaly confined to the local waters here around my home in WV. so should i keep the pc or sell it to be able to travel some this summer? and yes it is brand new never been in water it was new old stock i came across it has the compass and the QD hose. I also ordered another QD hose from ebay for my back up regulator set. so please give me your input as to what i should do.

Well thats a tough question to ask. Its like asking if you got a brand new car for a good price should you keep it or sale it. Honestly its up to you but me I would recommend keeping it as Computers are a God send to divers. (good ones are anyway)

And besides that there is nothing wrong with local diving either. I have been around the world diving and miss clear blue but lakes and quarries offer a lot that oceans do not. Often times you can find old cars and homes from when the lakes became lakes. Ive seen old cemetaries with head stones still up (Rumored though they moved the bodies Dont know for sure though) You can find old bridges still intact under water from days gone by that the lake was a mere river.

My advice is to think it over long and hard and make a decision after sleeping on it!

Keep it. A computer is a pretty good piece of equipment to have. 2nd hand value of diving gear is pretty low too...

I have a used pro plus 2 and it has been a great investment. Defintely keep it and save some money for a trip. In the mean time, are there any dive sites close by that you could dive like a quarry or east coast area shore dives? Those are always good and can be cheap while your saving for that big trip. :wink:

Greetings DannyB and welcome to SB as a diver!
If it were me I would keep the computer and dive local till I could afford a dive trip.
I still have my ProPlus 2 and it is now my daughters computer.
I love it and Oceanic has been awesome to deal with.
We had one problem with it when it was about 1 year old about 125 dives or so it developed a glitch.
They gave me a new one you can not beat that at all.

My opinion I would keep it and sell something else or just wait.
Do not fear local conditions they will help you develop skills and perfect navigation when the visibility is less than perfect.
Find a mentor to assist in you progress and do so at a safe pace never exceeding your training and experience.

I went on a dive trip right after AOW about 1 month after my first dives.
In my perspective there would have been so much more enjoyment if I had waited because air consumption and experience would have made my dives more enjoyable.
Trips are awesome but the ability to enjoy them, savor them, remember your dives really gets only better with training and experience.
Just my honest opinion make up your own mind.

One thing to consider is to research the local diving in Florida.
There are awesome opportunities at different times of the year, "specials" and travel can be as reasonable as you wish it to be.
We have paired down recent dive trips to around $500 for driving 4 days of diving.
We are tenting out but we are motivated to cut the cost so you do what you have to.
I guess what I am saying is there are ways to travel inside the US and still save cash.
Mexico right now is cheaper than when I went in 2007 but the media reports have scared many tourists away.
Some border inland areas are at greater risk these days but Coz / Playa as far as i have heard pretty dafe unless you wonder off the beaten path. "where I like to be"

Just do not let the vacation mentality rule your thoughts and actions.
I called my dive instructor from our plane as we touched down in the US and within 24 hours was back in the quarry in OH.
I was so in love with diving I would have dove in a puddle as long as it was wet!
Use your gear and gain experience, train hard and it will serve you well no matter where you travel.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Not trying to be funny, but what does this mean?

It means the computer was an impulse buy and not something planned and researched before purchase.

Not trying to be funny, but what does this mean?

it means i have big fingers and didnt use spell check and the wild hair was I was offered a brand new unopen proplus 2 for $100.00 so i just had to have it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom