Vet's Dive, or Nothing to See Here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Where did you dive today, and what's with all the sand scatter in your photos?
I dived at Vet's, and...I dived at Vet's.

I haven't made a beach dive at Vet's since I got my camera rig. It's a heavy camera in a thick aluminum housing with two heavy strobe batteries and a heavy diopter for good measure. I was concerned about getting rolled in the surf, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. I only got knocked down on my knees but got up quickly. No harm, no foul.

I dived the area where the Salad Bowl once was. There wasn't much left of it. I couldn't find a single nudibranch, shrimp or squid. I almost aborted the dive after twenty minutes but realized it would mean filling a tank and washing sand out of my gear for nothing. I stuck it out for well over an hour. I finally found a few photo subjects here and there. I saw some movement on a turban snail's shell. It was a small red octopus who was more than willing to let me fire off a few shots.

Vets5_zpscf250dcc.jpg

Vets6_zps5025f0b1.jpg

Vets7_zps58243a30.jpg

Vets4_zps28c88bf5.jpg

Sea star wasting continues

Vets2_zpse0fdd55c.jpg

Vets3_zpsdcfe892d.jpg

Obligatory crab shots

Vets1_zpsf7b8f3aa.jpg

Vets9_zps884aa1e5.jpg

Get off my back! I'm sleeping here!

Vets8_zps587af1c7.jpg

Sea cucumber vacuum cleaner

Vets10_zps0840ecac.jpg

Lewis' Moon snail

I ended up not using the diopter. There were none of the tiny critters that used to live there. I wonder if the "beach enhancement" covered everything up.

The third photo of the octopus is very good. I like the way he's showing off his arms. Like the baby horny pics too! How big was he? about 2"?

Oh wow, love the one with its arms curled up. And cute shark! I haven't seen any of those in months here.. maybe I have to hit the cove again.

I love little reds -- I think they are often far more amusing and photogenic than our big guys.

I am very, very sorry to hear about Vet's. I did my first Southern California dive there, back in about 2006, and I remember being amazed repeatedly throughout the dive by the amount and diversity of life we saw. I have heard from a lot of people that the "replenishment" project trashed the site, but one would hope it would come back. We have a similar site at our Redondo Beach, which was devastated by a huge storm several years ago, but within about six months, it was visibly recovering. Of course, in that case, the sediments weren't changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom