Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visibility near the old Bamberton cement plant in Saanich Inlet was a decent 20' in the shallows, then there was a murky red layer between 30-40' that made it dark down deeper. Below that, visibility gradually improved to around 40-50'. At McCurdy Point, visibility was similar except there wasn't the red layer.

Visibility at Willis Point today wasn't that great. It was 10-20' in the shallows. Between 60-80' deep, there was a layer of that red plankton that blocked out most of the light. Below 80' deep, visibility improved again to a dark 20'.

Was out at Madrona Point and Dolphin in the past couple of days. About 10 feet of vis in the shallows, and about 20 feet of vis at depth.

Divegoose

A good 50 plus feet of visibility at Oak Point this morning. First time I have dove the site when I could actually "see" the site. Got down to 97 feet and could see a lot farther down. Looks like lots to explore here !!

Divegoose

A good 50 plus feet of visibility at Oak Point this morning. First time I have dove the site when I could actually "see" the site. Got down to 97 feet and could see a lot farther down. Looks like lots to explore here !!

Divegoose
Based on your visibility report, I went up there (Oak Leaf Drive park) today. Visibility was 50-80'. Even the shallows was crystal clear. During a second dive only an hour later, visibility in the shallows had dropped to "only" 20-30', but below 60' deep, it was still really nice and bright and clear. My max depth was 125' deep.

Glad you were able to get up to Oak Point and enjoy the great visibility. When were were in on Saturday it was crystal clear right from shore all the way out around the point. Best vis I have seen at this site - first couple of dives here we couldn't see very much at all. This site reminds me a bit of Cottam Point in that you go way out and work your way around the point with the option to continue into the nesxt bay, or turn around and follow your route back.

About half way around we found a pile of shells and other indications of an octopus. We did manage to find one small octopus in a crack at around 90 feet. Is this the point where you take a 0 degree heading and hit the wall a bit further out ? I would like to explore the area more.

Divegoose

I'm not sure. I've never paid attention to compass headings here. When I'm swimming North along the wall at the point, the max depth is around 110' deep and then the wall ends and the rocks are more like ledges. I think this area is around 60-80' deep. If you continue to follow the sand/gravel slope (I'm guessing sort-of North) at around this depth (80'), you should soon reach the other rocky area. I ignored the main wall at the point yesterday and swam straight for the farther wall. My max depth there was 125' deep and the wall seems to go down to maybe 135-140' deep. There were lots more fish at that far wall compared to the wall at the point, including several yelloweye rockfish.

I'm not sure. I've never paid attention to compass headings here. When I'm swimming North along the wall at the point, the max depth is around 110' deep and then the wall ends and the rocks are more like ledges. I think this area is around 60-80' deep. If you continue to follow the sand/gravel slope (I'm guessing sort-of North) at around this depth (80'), you should soon reach the other rocky area. I ignored the main wall at the point yesterday and swam straight for the farther wall. My max depth there was 125' deep and the wall seems to go down to maybe 135-140' deep. There were lots more fish at that far wall compared to the wall at the point, including several yelloweye rockfish.

Thanks Mark - I was out there this morning, and was able to see where I should head down deeper. My buddies weren't interested in going deep, so we maxed out at 100 feet. Visbility was about 30 feet - a little better as we got deeper. Saw an octopus, a puget sound king crab, a big cabezon, and the biggest grunt sculpin I have ever seen. The grunt sculpin was in shallow.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

Back
Top Bottom