Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swankenstein:
Yes, I went back to McKenzie Bight this afternoon, but this time I walked down to the end of the trail and entered there. Vis was around 30 feet at the surface, 50 feet 20 feet deep and well over 100 feet down deep. It was seriously the best vis I've seen anywhere in the world. There were a few small cloud sponges, boot sponges, and big jellyfish. -The usual Saanich Inlet stuff, but the vis made it awesome. Off-gassing in the shallows was fun with the swarms of perch that wouldn't leave me alone.

Wow Mark, I think that I will have to visit the Inlet this week-end. Hopefully the viz stay the same.

Cheers

Al

swankenstein:
Yes, I went back to McKenzie Bight this afternoon, but this time I walked down to the end of the trail and entered there. Vis was around 30 feet at the surface, 50 feet 20 feet deep and well over 100 feet down deep. It was seriously the best vis I've seen anywhere in the world. There were a few small cloud sponges, boot sponges, and big jellyfish. -The usual Saanich Inlet stuff, but the vis made it awesome. Off-gassing in the shallows was fun with the swarms of perch that wouldn't leave me alone.

Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Vis at McKenzie Bight has been great since at least last weekend so I'm sure it should be good (if not awesome) for the next few days. Unfortunately I have family visiting this weekend so no diving for me. I''l be back at it next week some afternoons after work.

I was at Willis Pt. last night and there was awesome vis. No sediment all the way to the surface. You could see the Lions Manes from a long way away. Found a baby octo out and watched him for a while too.

Went to Henderson this morning... Me and I dunno three openwater classes... Dropped down to roughly 50ft and out of nowhere a small mudshark starts to circle me several times... Never seen one before and was quite happy to see him down there... We went right and at 60ft we spotted a octopus in his den, tried our best to see if he wanted to come out and play but he wasn't in the mood... From there we dropped to roughly 110ft and saw several large jellyfish... One being an Egg Yolk jelly and another i've never seen before... It was brown/red in colour, body was in the shape of a nine point star and it's tenticals, well the only was to describe them is that they looked like the tassles off carpet... I at first believed it to be a Lions Mane but it's body wasn't clear... So yeah any insights? We went down for 65mins and surfaced... Was a great dive... Vis under the classes was good maybe 50ft if not more...

GlazierB:
Dropped down to roughly 50ft and out of nowhere a small mudshark starts to circle me several times... Never seen one before

Mudshark? Do you just mean a 5-gill?

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Mudshark? Do you just mean a 5-gill?

Honestly thought it to be a mudshark, I could be wrong though... It was only a few feet long and if I wasn't trying to signal the rest of crew I would of counted the gills... None the less it was some sort of shark... Small but still!

GlazierB:
Honestly thought it to be a mudshark, I could be wrong though... It was only a few feet long and if I wasn't trying to signal the rest of crew I would of counted the gills... None the less it was some sort of shark... Small but still!
It was probably a spiney dogfish, also called mud shark. Frank Zappa did a song about fishing for them from the window of the Edgewater Hotel in Seattle.

Good viz at Willis Pt today, did a dive with my son and the viz clear under 25ft to about 50ft.

Back
Top Bottom