Video camcorder advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95devils

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I want to get into shooting video. I want a camcorder that shoots HD at least comparable to the Sony HDR-HC9. I want something better than a GoPro with more capabilities. Looking to spend between $500 and $1000 or so for just the camcorder, maybe more. I want quality without breaking the bank too much. Been to too many cool places and would like to have more than a memory. Don't want a camera but would be willing to go that route. Don't want to do pics. I could get the pics as still from the camcorder. The camcorder would only be used for dive trips.

I know that people will say look for the housing first then backtrack to the camera. I have spent many hours searching. I can find a housing then the camcorder is discontinued. Or I find a camcorder and housing but don't know about the camcorder. I don't know enough about camcorders to be dangerous.

Advice please on available camcorders and housings.

They're out there, you just have match them up. Every time there's a new camera series released the housing mfr's play catch up. Since that seems to be yearly from Sony or Canon it's harder to keep pace. Mechanical housing mfr's like Equinox or Ikelite often have to retool for the new models if the mfr. changes the location of a control.

One that's currently an option:
Sony 32GB HDR-CX430V HD Handycam Camcorder HDR-CX430V/B B&H $698
in an Equinox housing:
Sony HD 6 - Equinox Underwater Housings $949 + $419 for a rear mounted monitor.

Equinox doesn't have their list in numerical order, it's the last one in the dropdown.

If you did want to shoot better stills (20MB) there's this one at $1100.
Sony 32GB HDR-PJ650 HD Handycam Camcorder HDR-PJ650V/B B&H Photo

Same Equinox housing.

Maybe contact Ikelite and see what they're working on currently also, they may have new models just not updated their website yet.

I expect Canon will probably release the WP-V5 housing for their next series of consumer cameras soon. The current HF M500/50 model - WP-V4 seems to be discontinued now. Earlier this year it wasn't. They are very feature/depth limited but both pieces retail for around $1K total.

Interceptor121 is right though it seems like more of the low-end video space is moving to the p/s or micro 4/3rds. market. Smaller, lighter cheaper, shoot HD 1080P video, what's not to like.

There's still a prosumer - or better high end market but that's going to be a minimum of $4K or more. Aditech has a series of housings that likely work with many current Sony models Shop - Housings for SONY - Aditech | Underwater video and photo online store starting at about $2500. There's also a new Aquatica Wave for the PJ760 Sony camera. The camera is $1700 and the housing probably closer to $3K - I haven't seen a price yet. Gates probably has a current prosumer housing also.

There's also the L&M Bluefin ($2800) but it's for Canon models only. Sony shot themselves in the foot a few years back when they went to non-standard electronic control codes so no one has been able to engineer an electronic housing for them affordably.

Then you get into the really expensive stuff - like the Amphibico Genesis or most of the Gates line.

Do you have an HC9? Housings for it are still available. Of course there's the transfer time involved with tape in editing - that's still only 1to1.

Last edited:
Do you have an HC9? Housings for it are still available. Of course there's the transfer time involved with tape in editing - that's still only 1to1.

I have never shot pics or video, actually never owned a camcorder. I have seen several divers with that camcorder and liked the quality of the video. I would like to do the same quality or better.

It's actually an older camera so everything currently on the market will be better as long as it has 1920x1080 video resolution - often referred to as just 1080p. The HC9 had a comparatively low resolution imaging chip, those have gotten a lot better recently.

Some of the point/shoot cameras may not but any of the better ones do also now. I think all the better micro 4/3rds. do also - I'm not as familiar with them.

The advantage any of the newer camcorders have is that they're all flash memory based so transferring video for editing is fast - either via USB or now over WiFi. Some camcorders also have removable media so with an inexpensive card reader transfers are faster still.

If you find something you like, post details here - someone likely knows the pros/cons of using it.

Sometimes there's some good deals in our video classifieds. Or eBay. Often it's older stuff though also. If it's not HD I personally wouldn't consider it at any price. Even the better SD models lose quality when played back on an HDTV. If the resolution isn't there initially, you can't make up for that in editing.

If you don't want to break the bank, I would look at the Ikelite website.
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Go to their VIDEO housing selection, then do your research from there. I have been a very satisfied customer of their housings for 13+ years. I had 3 different camcorders and housings before moving to the GoPro.

robin

Ok, I want to get into shooting video. I want a camcorder that shoots HD at least comparable to the Sony HDR-HC9. I want something better than a GoPro with more capabilities. Looking to spend between $500 and $1000 or so for just the camcorder, maybe more. I want quality without breaking the bank too much. Been to too many cool places and would like to have more than a memory. Don't want a camera but would be willing to go that route. Don't want to do pics. I could get the pics as still from the camcorder. The camcorder would only be used for dive trips.

I know that people will say look for the housing first then backtrack to the camera. I have spent many hours searching. I can find a housing then the camcorder is discontinued. Or I find a camcorder and housing but don't know about the camcorder. I don't know enough about camcorders to be dangerous.

Advice please on available camcorders and housings.

Why not look at the Panasonic LX7 ? This seems to be THE non-professional camera that everyone is talking about for shoot video for about $1000, and there is a lot of information about in on this forum.

Should I forget about a camcorder and go with the LX-7 or RX100? I can get either of those for next to nothing. What is the major differences? Preferences of one over the other? I noticed that Ikelite housings are much cheaper than camcorder models I have researched.

Basically if you had $3000 for a complete system (camera/camcorder, housings and a pair of lights, etc) what would you go for?

Go on my YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/interceptor121
I have shot both the LX7 and RX100 you can have a look at the clips and judge for yourself
With $3000 you can get a complete nauticam rig with arms and sola lights as well as wet lenses
On my blog http://interceptor121.wordpress.com you can see video rigs for both the lx7 and rx100 that are within your budget
There is a new RX100M2 coming into the shops I will receive one on Monday and will post my comparison with the first generation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom