Video camera settings for beginners....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCgreg:
10-4.

Right now guys I'm leaning towards leaving AF ON. If it becomes a problem then I will adjust.

Thanks for all the tips.

I always leave AF on. My Ikelite housing has a lever to turn AF on and off, but it doesn't have a way to manually focus! I suppose I could set it to infinity, but as someone already pointed out, that would spoil the closeups. So far I haven't had a reason to turn AF off. As long as the lighting is good, it should work. I haven't had a problem with it so far, except once when I was out of the water and tried to get some video of dolphins following the boat. It focused on the drops of water on the lens port. The lesson learned from that was to wipe those stray drops away (gently, with a soft clean towel) before doing any above-water shooting.

eric_in_az:
I always leave AF on. My Ikelite housing has a lever to turn AF on and off, but it doesn't have a way to manually focus! I suppose I could set it to infinity, but as someone already pointed out, that would spoil the closeups. So far I haven't had a reason to turn AF off. As long as the lighting is good, it should work. I haven't had a problem with it so far, except once when I was out of the water and tried to get some video of dolphins following the boat. It focused on the drops of water on the lens port. The lesson learned from that was to wipe those stray drops away (gently, with a soft clean towel) before doing any above-water shooting.
If you focus ON something (whatever that is) and THEN hit the AF Off - it will stay in focus, regardless of what floats by. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom