Video Housing in Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Col_CCC

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello

What experiences have people had while traveling with your video camera and housing? How do you pack it? Do you take both as carry on? Any and all information would be appritiated.

Thanks
Chris

I take both as a carry on. Camcorder in my backpack, housing in a pelican case. I carry on my regs and dive computer too.

I pack my OI video housing, RB-60 lights, chargers for still and video cameras, charger for video lights, canon still housing, extra mini dv tapes, two video light batteries, and other small accessories in a Pelican 1610 which is checked. The full case is 49.5 lbs, just under the 50 lb limit. I carry still and video cameras in my carry on backpack.

I always carry on my camera but usually the housing and lights are checked in. I use Storm cases for all of my equipment.

H2O, have you ever had a problem getting gear ripped off using cases like that? I have not had any problems but so many people tell me I'm crazy to check in all my camera gear in those cases.

To this day...I have not and I have traveled many places with a ton of equipment...i hope I am not jinxing myself as I am in hawaii right now and have to travel back home on friday!!!!

I tell everyone to insure their equipment with h2oinsurance.com through DAN...this way in the event it is ripped off, damaged, etc...it is covered. A lot of people lock their cases after they go through the security check. There is always the risk. The best thing to do is keep your cases as discreet as possible. Do not tag them with stickers from the manufacturers cuz then u r just telling everyone whats in your case.

I carry everything in hand luggage, but you do get a lot of hassle from the inspectors at the xray machines.

On a recent trip that took me through New York I had my bag inspected 4 times on the same flight, so if you do carry on then make sure that you have enough time to get through and still catch your flight! :)

Cheers, Simon

I now carry on my Video Housing, but it's small enough to do that with, my prior housing (for an older video camera, Ikelite manual housing) got packed into the suitcase, I was never that worried about anyone stealing it (while it's expensive, it's fairly specialized, you need the right camera to go in it etc) and I doubt they would damage it (since it can stand up to 300' of depth).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom