Video: How it feels to be surrounded by sharks. Cristina Zenato

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeez... can't the rest of you just appreciate what was posted rather than criticize it? I think Ms. Zenato has a world of experience diving with them, and knows that in cases like this the shark mail suit is a wise idea. Yes, I too prefer seeing them in the wild without feeding, but accept this video and this experience for what it is.

I agree with her feelings, I feel the same way and I appreciate the message but really dislike the chain suit/shark feeding dives. . I have never done one and never will.

I prefer to dive with them in their natural state like last month in Morehead City,NC when we found a birthing nest of several hundred adults/babies on one of the wrecks. We scooter dove (very slowly) right through the middle of them and absolutely loved it.

DrBill, I just said, "Rather..." I did not say anything bad. For one I do not support shark feeding at all! I enjoy all animals both above and below the surface in their natural state without people interfering. I also believe in promoting saving the wild life. I feel that too many are trying to promote how sharks are not the aggressive beast that people preceive then to be...while being in a shark cage or wearing chainmail suits. Just my take on the situation.

I'm headed to Playa to film the Bull Sharks and explain what Phantom Divers is doing with marine research, shark tagging and the conservation efforts to help protect the female migrating Bull Sharks of the Yucatan. What many of you don't realize, is that many of these operations that promote shark dives are the same operations that spend a lot of money and effort to help save them. It's always about the money; shark conservation efforts are no different. It may just be these operations that save the sharks that you all enjoy. How much money and time have any of you, or your dive shops contributed to these research studies to help protect sharks?

My short documentary "SHARKS; Wanted-Dead or Alive", will be published next month and I hope that some of you will come to understand the benefits of these shark dives. The choice to dive and feed sharks is an individual one. Shark feeds definitely has its negative aspects; however, it is the lesser of two evils and my film will address this. So, for all of you staunch anti-shark feeding divers; get your hate mail ready. This is a very controversial subject, I will address both sides of the controversy in depth; not in attempt to persuade others to change their position on the subject, but to show the positive aspects as well as the negative, and what goes on behind the scenes in shark conservation. Stay tuned!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom