Video: Octopus Attacked By School Of Leatherjackets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time

Kinda makes you feel sorry for the octopus :sad:.....amazing footage. Definitely right place, right time.

hi Folks
im the guy who took the footage and posted it , it was actually shot last weekend Saturday i think
it has very popular with newrly 300,000 hits

when i was shooting i remember thinking this is really good , make sure i get it and don't stuff it up

ive actually coped some negative comments on youtube ,like "i should have saved the octopus" just not possible , this is animals in the wild . not pets in an Aquarium

and criticizing lots , my choice of music , hey i just randomly chose a track from the youtube site
anyway
here is a shot i took in between taking video
4569212412_492115422d_o.jpg

by the way video and stills taken with nikon coolpix p5100 in ikelite case with inon glass and strobes..

FYI
another video taken in the area , octopus stealing camera, fighting , and other stuff, about 6mins

YouTube - octopus behaviour

Regards
Matty

That was an interesting video (the original one). I have seen some similar behavior in rockfish in Puget Sound, although not a whole school of them chasing the 'pus up into midwater like that.

hi Folks
im the guy who took the footage and posted it , it was actually shot last weekend Saturday i think
it has very popular with newrly 300,000 hits

when i was shooting i remember thinking this is really good , make sure i get it and don't stuff it up

ive actually coped some negative comments on youtube ,like "i should have saved the octopus" just not possible , this is animals in the wild . not pets in an Aquarium

and criticizing lots , my choice of music , hey i just randomly chose a track from the youtube site
anyway
here is a shot i took in between taking video
4569212412_492115422d_o.jpg

by the way video and stills taken with nikon coolpix p5100 in ikelite case with inon glass and strobes..

FYI
another video taken in the area , octopus stealing camera, fighting , and other stuff, about 6mins

YouTube - octopus behaviour

Regards
Matty

I agree we have no business interfering with the laws of nature. I am glad you caught this because I don't expect I'll ever be lucky enough to see it let alone catch it on video

well done.

Dude...great video. I think a lot of us divers tend to forget that the Law of the Jungle applies underwater as well. I know I felt sorry for that poor octo getting ripped to shreds by all those fish. But I agree, it's not right to interfere in Mother Nature's way.

Peace,
Greg

What would be easy to overlook is that octopi are predatory and some of their kills might not be pleasant to watch, either.

Granted, getting 'picked to death' like seen in the video looks pretty horrible.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom