Video of Lake Michigan wreck dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s good viz? I guess I’m spoiled as all but 2 of my 95 dives so far have been in the Caribbean. I’m also surprised that the wrecks seem devoid of any fish life? I’m not criticizing as anytime/place you are diving it is a good thing - just observations as I’ve never seen Great Lakes diving footage.

The Tacoma had crappy viz, like what I’m used at the quarry. We had 40-50ft viz on the other wrecks. That is excellent.

Some wrecks have fish, I’m told. I’ve not seen anything more than gobies or other small ones. Lack of marine life (other than the mussels) doesn’t bother me. I’m there for the wrecks. If you want abundant marine life, well, that’s what warm water is for.

The Tacoma had crappy viz, like what I’m used at the quarry. We had 40-50ft viz on the other wrecks. That is excellent.

Some wrecks have fish, I’m told. I’ve not seen anything more than gobies or other small ones. Lack of marine life (other than the mussels) doesn’t bother me. I’m there for the wrecks. If you want abundant marine life, well, that’s what warm water is for.
You can have both (and warm water too :) - from Aruba last year):
I'm glad you are getting out and enjoying your local diving - it's great to have that resource close by and even better to to be able to take advantage of it every weekend! I'll eventually dive off of NJ as there are some good wrecks here too, but not too excited about the water temp - I'm more warm blooded :eek:

Last edited:
@Joneill

Great Lakes wrecks look like wrecks. No coral or other stuff in the way aside from the mussels. That wooden wreck with the gorgeous dead eyes? It went down in 1883. Would that still be intact the ocean? Doubt it.

I have been to the Straights several times, great diving but the currents and vis can raise their ugly head. I have done most of the wreck there, Carderville (huge wreck), Minneapolis, Maitland, William Young, Northwest, Sandusky, Eber Ward, William Young, Martin Stalker and the Barnum. My favorite is the Eber Ward but it is on the deep side. What operator did you use.

I have been to the Straights several times, great diving but the currents and vis can raise their ugly head. I have done most of the wreck there, Carderville (huge wreck), Minneapolis, Maitland, William Young, Northwest, Sandusky, Eber Ward, William Young, Martin Stalker and the Barnum. My favorite is the Eber Ward but it is on the deep side. What operator did you use.

Not sure who you’re asking. I always go with Double Action Dive Charters, DRIS’ dive op.

marie, if you ever get the urge to do some good junk/muck diving, about 6 miles out of navy pier is the debris field from the old chicago fire. all the rubble was loaded in barges and dumped out in the lake. i may still have loran c coordinates from the old days, i dont know if i have them in lat/lon.

marie, if you ever get the urge to do some good junk/muck diving, about 6 miles out of navy pier is the debris field from the old chicago fire. all the rubble was loaded in barges and dumped out in the lake. i may still have loran c coordinates from the old days, i dont know if i have them in lat/lon.

No, thank you. I’m something of a minimalist. I have no urge to clutter up my small place with underwater junk.

Back
Top Bottom