Video stills from Blue Heron Bridge - my 500th dive!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Videodude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey everyone.

Monday June 8th finds the Video Dude and dive buddy "Hall of Famous" Joanie diving under Blue Heron Bridge. This is my 500th (non-teaching) dive and Joanie is working on her photography skills for her upcoming trip to Indonesia (lucky duck!). The weather was very cooperative and high tide was scheduled for 9:10am. We arrived at the bridge @8:30am and began setting up our gear. After our final buddy checks, we head for the shoreline and make our way into the water to finish getting our fins on and any last-second final adjustments.

Then it's off to the pilings on the west side to see what we can see. Visibility turned out to not be so great, maybe 10ft or so, so we had to stick close together. We right away found lots of Starfish and the ever-present Sea Urchins with their shell camouflage. We actually saw an urchin using a plastic cough syrup bottle for camouflage! I haven't laughed like that in a while! Zig-zagging around the pilings we also came across a Batfish, Arrow Crabs the size of Frisbees, Banded Shrimp, Barracuda, Spadefish, Hermit Crabs, Lobsters, Sheepshead and Hogfish. It was definitely a full-variety day to be sure!

After close to 80 minutes underwater, we decide to head back to the beach. It was a nice leisurely swim back and we finally bumped into another couple that were just heading over to the bridge. We basically had the whole place to ourselves until then! It was a great spot for my 500th dive and having a great dive buddy along made it even better!

Here's to the NEXT 500 dives in Paradise!!

The Video Dude

Here are some video stills of the "critters" we saw that day:

Attachments

• 6.8.09_BHB_arrowcrab.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_arrowcrab.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 6.8.09_BHB_bandedstar.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_bandedstar.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.8.09_BHB_batfish.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_batfish.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.8.09_BHB_hermitcrab1.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_hermitcrab1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 6.8.09_BHB_lobsters.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_lobsters.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 6.8.09_BHB_sheepshead.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_sheepshead.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 6.8.09_BHB_shrimp.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_shrimp.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 6.8.09_BHB_starfish1.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_starfish1.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 6.8.09_BHB_starparty.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_starparty.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 6.8.09_BHB_urchin1.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_urchin1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 6.8.09_BHB_urchin2.jpg
    6.8.09_BHB_urchin2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 36
SWEET pics...congrats on 500...you'll be at 1K before you know it!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom