Video System for Iceland Silfra diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharlizeB

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

recently i've been doing research on buying a mid-level video system for my diving trip to Iceland Silfra in the coming April. water temp. around 35F and vision +100m. but most of the time i will be diving in warm water regions. my budget around $2500 USD.

Camcorder - Sony DCR-SR80 is within my budget with 60GB memory plus small in body size, however i've been to many forums not many talked about SR80, anyone using it? any comments? any other suggestions?

Electronic housing - is it important to have white balance control and external flip filter? i am looking between Top Dawg or Ocean Images, with LCD also versatile for future model upgrade, any suggestions?

Lighting - do i need one? any good choice for mid-level lighting system that won't blow my budget?

is the temperature of cold water going to have any affects on the camcorder/housing system?

i've learned a lot from this forum and everyone are very knowledgeable and helpful. thanks in advance. any suggestions/comments/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Charlize. :10:

CharlizeB:
Hello everyone,

recently i've been doing research on buying a mid-level video system for my diving trip to Iceland Silfra in the coming April. water temp. around 35F and vision +100m. but most of the time i will be diving in warm water regions. my budget around $2500 USD.

Camcorder - Sony DCR-SR80 is within my budget with 60GB memory plus small in body size, however i've been to many forums not many talked about SR80, anyone using it? any comments? any other suggestions?

Electronic housing - is it important to have white balance control and external flip filter? i am looking between Top Dawg or Ocean Images, with LCD also versatile for future model upgrade, any suggestions?

Lighting - do i need one? any good choice for mid-level lighting system that won't blow my budget?

is the temperature of cold water going to have any affects on the camcorder/housing system?

i've learned a lot from this forum and everyone are very knowledgeable and helpful. thanks in advance. any suggestions/comments/advise will be greatly appreciated.

Charlize. :10:
If you didn't buy the SR80 yet in my opinion I would look to a different Sony camcorder that has the LANC connection that can give you plenty of housings to choose from with electronic controls. Regarding the white balance you'll not gonna find any housings that offer this feature within your budget so forget about it, also most of the prosumer level camcorders do a pretty good job in automatic white balance. I was looking at Ocean Images website and they have a housing under $1500 for Sony HC3. With LCD open inside you'll have a good view of your shots and the flip filter is great for recording above and under water. With prices around $1000 for a Sony HC3 you'll be within your budget.
I hope this helps, good luck.
PS post some clips when you'll return.
PPS I would ask the housing manufacturer regarding the effect on the o-rings seals of low water temperature. By the way, I think you have to consider the possibility of condensation inside the housing with this kind of temperature jump (inside comparing with outside and U/W).

Does TopDawg house that camera? Their housing chart seems to indicate that they don't: http://www.topdawgvideo.com/compatibility.htm. Not sure why as it seems to be no bigger than others that do fit. Might be worth a call to Backscatter to find out

Another point that's recently been discussed here about the HDD camcorders: Is the "Remote" port a LANC control port? See the thread here starting with post #11. My guess is that it is, but the OP was going to find out.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2518409#post2518409

I don't think the temperature will be an issue for the o-rings on the housing, Buna-N(nitrile) has a working temperature of -65 to +250 degrees F. A bigger issue might be the tolerances the housing mfr's machine their mating surfaces and how much shrinkage will occur in the materials at that temperature. I'd think a metal housing would do better in this regard.

I don't think there will be an impact on the camera functions, you're probably not going to be in the water long enough for anything except some condensation to occur, that can usually be overcome with those silica gel moisture absorption packets.

thank you both!
i just went to B&H after my sunday brunch to check out the camcorders around 11am (they open at 10am). 5 minutes later while i was still chatting with the B&H guy, a man stopped by picked up a HC3 and checkout to the cashier right away.

hum.... then another 5 minutes later (i haven't placed my order yet) another man stopped by and picked up another HC3 and checkout.

these all happened so quicky and i guess the word of sony discontinuing the HC3 spread fast. i was told it's a very good camcorder for its price ($1099 HC3K - K stands for Kit which include 2 battery packs and memory stick and 1 HD tape and cleaning cassette...... i guess it's a good deal.... =P). so another 5 minutes later, i did the same thing! ;-)

regarding the cold temp. in water, i was told the only thing might affect it's the battery life, so i also got the extend battery pack for $99 which will last for 3 hours.

i think i will go for the ocean images housing, good price come with filter flip and upgrade mech. white balance control (extra $200), plus i don't needa buy an external monitor with the LCD open inside. thank you for your suggestion, paul, i think i will be very happy with this system and it is well within my budget.

thank you steve for your advice on the temp., i will double check with ocean images.

i will be taking the drysuit course in march before heading to iceland in april. will keep you guys posted on how things work out.

thanks again. :D
Charlize

another general question.
does PAL or NTSC matter when i mostly use my computer to view the clips?.... i heard when you import the clip, the computer doesn't care whether it is PAL or NTSC, how about the editing and quailty?
thanks.

i think i've got the answer from this forum and it's quite interesting regarding the constant battle between PAL and NTSC discussion.... http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t103559.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom