Vietnam diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tafkasnyc

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone done it? Might have the chance to go, quick trip, fly into Ho Chi Minh on a Friday night and leave the following Sat morning (one week) - is it worth making this a dive trip?
Opinions greatly appreciated. No clue of travel logistics once there or reasonability of rates.

Lemme know folks!

Rob

Most of the diving in Vietnam is done from Nhat Trang, there are a couple of other options though.

IMO: don't bother with diving there. The corals are badly damaged and because of dynamite fishing there is not much life left. I did like the macro stuff there though. Will I was diving there, they were still fishing with dynamite a bit further, not a very pleasent experience.

If you are in a diving area, I would check it out for myself, if you have to travel to go diving, I would not bother.

I haven't been diving in Viet-nam since I was there in the navy but we were hunting little people. As I remember it we did get our bag limit daily. But that was over 30yrs ago. Bill

dilligaf368:
I haven't been diving in Viet-nam since I was there in the navy but we were hunting little people. As I remember it we did get our bag limit daily. But that was over 30yrs ago. Bill
cyianide fishing clorine fishing & dynamite fishing has destroyed their eco system no enviro plan, save your money!

OK, here goes the story of a colleague of mine who right now lives in Vietnam. He dived from the island Phu Quoc. Vietnamese are claiming that they will make it second Phuket, but as till now without much of a success. The place is still rather wild with kilometers of absolutely empty sandy beaches, no hard roads and few fishermen’s villages. There is only one diving centre there – Rainbow Divers www.divevietnam.com
One day diving costs 75 US$ - and it includes all gear, boat 2 dives with DM, fruits or lunch – depending on the length of the diving day. If using your own gear and diving for minimum 3 days then you get 10% discount
Rainbow Divers exists for 3 years and as far got the permission to dive in 5 spots. Phu Quoc is on the border of Cambodia and there are quarrels with Vietnam over the ownership of the place. So the island is mainly military area.
Out of 5 diving spots 3 are worth recommendation. 2 of them are coral gardens, beautiful places full of huge hard corals. Everything at the depth of 6 meters so also full of sun and light. 3rd spot was in the current with vis up to 6 meters only but a place full of animals. During all dives the best was searching for fishes traps. Traps are 1,5x0,8x0,8 meters big and illegal. So divers are asked to destroy them.
One of the interesting thing that although there is a rule of not touching anything still the DM caught an animal and killed it. It was Acanthaster planci – leaving of the alive corals destroying corals with the enormous speed. In fact in Egypt there were several time special actions undertaken for killing this animal.
As I wrote at the beginning – this is not my story but from a person who lives in Vietnam and will stay there I think for another few years. He is a pilot and works for Vietnamese Airlines.
Mania

Prosze bardzo. Zawsze chetnie jak moge to pomoge....
Well, I'm impressed - really. How come you can speak a bit of Polish???? Do you have Polish roots? It seems that our Polish group of SB is rapidly growing!!!!! Soon we should ask for our own subforum:D
Mania

dilligaf368:

Do find that post a little distasteful (even given the realization they were shooting back at you). I think it would be nice if you consider this is a site visited by the international dive community. We all have a common interest here.

Dr. Bill

I have been to Vietnam twice, but never did any diving. I like Vietnam very much and would recommend it, but I do not know about the diving. I can tell you that Thailand has the best of both worlds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom