Vintage Diving Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FullSizeRender(4).jpg
FullSizeRender(3).jpg
FullSizeRender(2).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender(1).jpg
A very cool travel brochure, circa 1966
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Last edited:
Yay! A dive vacation I can afford at $265 in the high season... where's my pointy bikini top and underwater eyeliner, I'm there!

I suspect this brochure was produced after SDM was sold to the late Bob Peterson.
Paul Tsmoulis was appointed editor and became a big promoter of dive travel

These images are of the late Dewey Bergman's company See & Sea.
Dewey was a NAUI UW instructor, avid diver, owner of a travel agency in Northern California
He is the individual with the mask on his head in the first image - He may or may not have had a beard at that time

He was one of the first to promote diving vacations.
Diving had nor migrated from California and to the major population centers and was in its infancy.
PADI was ten years in the future along with the rest of the Instructor alphabet

Note;
Double hose regulators
No SPGs
No floatation
No wet suits
Rollei Marine camera housing

Those were the days!

The individual displaying the large Barracuda appears to be the late Lee Turcott

Sdm

I suspect this brochure was produced after SDM was sold to the late Bob Peterson.
Paul Tsmoulis was appointed editor and became a big promoter of dive travel

These images are of the late Dewey Bergman's company See & Sea.
Dewey was a NAUI UW instructor, avid diver, owner of a travel agency in Northern California
He is the individual with the mask on his head in the first image - He may or may not have had a beard at that time

He was one of the first to promote diving vacations.
Diving had nor migrated from California and to the major population centers and was in its infancy.
PADI was ten years in the future along with the rest of the Instructor alphabet

Note;
Double hose regulators
No SPGs
No floatation
No wet suits
Rollei Marine camera housing

Those were the days!

The individual displaying the large Barracuda appears to be the late Lee Turcott

Sdm

And a watch and what, a wrist mounted depth gauge? Tables in the head, just a time limit planned?

I love that one of the girls appears to be diving in a man's shirt... if my good old days sartorial signals are correct that meant Hubba Hubba the night before ;-)

And a watch and what, a wrist mounted depth gauge? Tables in the head, just a time limit planned?[
/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yep!
A decent depth gauge did not appear until about 1960 as did the first dive watches.
I assume that to day the divers in the pictures would be identified as being unsafe divers , but these s divers. were clad in the costume of the day.

They were what is known as divers - not as people who dive---there is a difference
SDM

I met Paul Tsmoulis on San Salvador Island in 1989 while on my first dives after completing my OW. Cool to see that name brought up....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom