Vintage diving...what was it like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any old time divers out there? Back in the day of no pressure gauges and the J valve, what was diving like with no BC?

Did they use less weight? And Getting back to the surface from depth must have been a chore with no air assist. Did they even have J valves from the very beginning?

Clue me in on what it was like...from the hassles to the nostalgic memories.

I started my SCUBA course when I was 11 and was certified one year later (1965). My Instructor was George Burt (NAUI 98?) and Ben Davis (NAUI 101). A 30-40 week course seemed to be normal at the time for clubs operating in Canada.

Diver swimming standards were higher with 600 Meters required, 15 minute drown-proofing, tread water 5 mins hands and feet, 5 mins hands only, 5 mins feet only with a 25 Meter underwater swim. I remember that my legs were really wobbly afterwards and I had to sit down for a couple of mins to recover. :)

At the end of the pool training process we had an in-water test that interestingly enough included 2 lengths of the pool underwater, breathing from the SCUBA tank with no regulator... LOL

Openwater utilized a 1/4 in wet suit (talc required to get it on), 71.2 cu ft bottle with "K" Valve, Healthways double hose, single stage regulator, knife and a capillary depth guage. You certainly respected buddy distance and communication much more than the sport diver seems to in today's age.

I remember when I purchased my first vest a U.S. Divers model with a 16 gram CO2 cartridge. Years later, I graduated to a Nemrod with an air cylinder (refillable from the SCUBA tank). I even had a SPG and a Dacor 800 with the J valve on the Reg. Man was I equipped, nothing but the best! LOL

Thanks for the question. It was a journey through memory lane.

and ya know what i just tossed an old u s divers backpack in the dumpster about 2 months ago..:peepwalla:

and ya know what i just tossed an old u s divers backpack in the dumpster about 2 months ago..:peepwalla:

The vintage ninja hit team has taken out divers for less. :no:

N

I recall buying my first set up in 1973, I couldn't afford the extra $5 or $10 the J valve cost and my instructor always told us the extra bucks were better spent on a SPG than on a J valve. Our instuctor also had an power inflator hose for his BC and an octo rig, at the time we students couldn't understand the purpose of the octo rig since he made us practice buddy breathing every time we hit the pool.
Thank you Mr. Martinez, taking your diving class was the best $35 I ever spent.

you don't see many people do it any more but do you remember checking the air in the tank by using a white cotton t shirt by placing it over the tank valve and giving it a quick burst and seeing if the shirt had a discoloration on it ?

you don't see many people do it any more but do you remember checking the air in the tank by using a white cotton t shirt by placing it over the tank valve and giving it a quick burst and seeing if the shirt had a discoloration on it ?
Naw, we just cracked the valve and gave it the sniff test.

it's been in my kit for yrs it was a friend of mines ..it's been a workhorse for many years..can i still get parts for it?

lol...it's been around ..it only has a sn# on the body and oceanic u s a on the yoke knob? i opened the two ports just for a look thats why the plugs were out ..i'd like to keep it in service if possible

Naw, we just cracked the valve and gave it the sniff test.

Well, that is nothing, I know a guy who spritzes his portable compressor intake with Old Hawk whiskey. The air he pumps is great, you feel good, narcosis get in line.

N

Back
Top Bottom