Vintage DIY.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. I took it apart and the gasket is pinched. So I need a new gasket and VDH is out of stock of both kinds unless I buy the whole service kit.

Is there anywhere else to buy these gaskets before I buy a service kit for a $3
part?

Thanks.

Probably not unless you want to guess the size at McMaster Carr.

There may be someone here on SB that might have a spare on hand.

If not , just buy the whole kit and by the next time it needs service, VDH may have that gasket as a separate part again.

Let me check, I think I have some....not that I ever needed a spare because I messed one up . :)

maybe Rob at the Scuba Museum?

20200913_145350.jpg
Evening all. After some help getting a new gasket and some helpful tips on installation, I have my first double hose!!!

I'm surprised to how easy it breaths (on the bench anyway). I am also surprised at the amount of exhalation resistance but it's nothing unbearable, I just wasn't expecting it. Hopefully I'll get a pool trial tomorrow depending on the weather with Sally moving by.

Thanks for all the help from everyone getting this back in shape. I look forward to diving it soon.

PS. I know I don't have the hose clamps on yet but they will be on before the test dive.

I am also surprised at the amount of exhalation resistance

Did you change to the DBE, or still have the old duck bill style valve? The duck bill will be higher in resistance....

I have the DBE. It's just a little stiffer resistance than I'm used to.

I have the DBE. It's just a little stiffer resistance than I'm used to.
Because you are exhaling against 2 valves instead of 1 (on a single hose second stage). It will be a lot easier to exhale in the water because the exhaust hose end is above your lungs, like exhaling with a snorkel.

Because you are exhaling against 2 valves instead of 1 (on a single hose second stage). It will be a lot easier to exhale in the water because the exhaust hose end in above your lungs, like exhaling with a snorkel.
That's kind of what I thought. I figured the air flow would draw away from the mouthpiece. I'll find out soon. Looking forward to it.

Ok guys, update.

I did not get to dive the regulator today but I verified the IP settings and I went with the method where you use a tank with 300-500 psi and set it until it leaks and back off 1/4 turn. Worked great.

My results are as follows:

400 Psi. IP = 140 Psi initial and lock up at 143 psi after 30 seconds. No creep after 1 hour.

2200 Psi. IP = 110 Psi initial and lock up at 112 Psi after 30 seconds. No creep after 1 hour.

I feel I could adjust the HPR to decrease breathing resistance even more but I want to dive it first, then I may play with it. As it stands it breathes very easy now.

Getting closer to getting the reg wet!

Thanks for all the helps, tips, and parts.

And if you're interested, here is what it looks like if you don't get the first stage gasket centered when you torque it down.
20200914_215056.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom