Vintage steel 72 rescue center.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 old STEEL tanks that didn't pass hydro and are now scrap. What can be done with them now? I also have an old Steel that DID pass hydro/visual (but not yet filled), but no one can find me a new value. It has the old 1/2 pipe screw type J valve. Any suggestions?

I also picked up 4 other old tanks from an out of biz scuba shop owner - 3 alum 80's and 1 steel 80 that all did pass hydro/visuals and are now filled....and got new valves for them. I'm hoping maybe for some suggestions on how to go about pricing them for sale? I've seen such a huge range on tank prices....these are 20-30yrs old at least.

You're not going to get a lot for the aluminums even with fresh hydros. If they are older than 1990 and are on the hit list then they are more trouble than their worth. The steel on the other hand is much more desirable. If it has a fresh hydro and vis and the valve being in decent shape you could probably get $75 to $100 for it. As each year of hydro goes by they lose a little bit of value until it passes again. Buying them out of hydro is always deal time because it's always a gamble if they will pass or not.

I may have a lead on 1/2" pipe thread valves. I'm waiting to go over to a friends house to pick up a box of old valves. ePay also has 1/2" valves once in a while.

The old condemned steel tanks are either yard art, artificial reef, or dinner bell, take your choice.

Yep. You can make gongs out of the steel cylinders. Or, cut the top off to use for a regulator display. Or both!

i have 2 vintage steel tanks that are hydroed and in use any one have any interest in them one is 1961 vintage other is a dacor dont know year give me a shout if interested

RickI,

My interest in Steel 72's really has to do with assembling a set of small independent doubles to use when doing modest solo dives. I haven't done the type of technical Great Lakes diving I did in the mid-1990's through early 2000's in a long time, as where I live (MO) and my current life situation (3 primary school children) have reshaped my priorities. My manifolded PST HP 120's are *way* overkill for me now. And, besides, my middle-aged back groans these days whenever I even glance at my wreck doubles.

For solo diving, I've experimented with (1) using my HP 120's as independent doubles, (2) using a single OMS LP 126 with a slung Al 40 buddy bottle, and, most recently, (3) using independent double Luxfer Al 80's. I'm hopeful that independent double Steel 72's--when I finally locate a second 72--will finally satisfy.

As you're probably aware, the 1970's-era USD steel 72's are 3AA tanks and will last "indefinitely" if they have been properly cared for (and they pass hydro and VIP). They can be hydroed for a plus rating (= 2,475 psig = 2,250 + 10%) even if a previous hydro was only for a non-plus rating.

I read somewhere a long long time ago, during the introduction of the aluminum tanks on the market and the big arguments that issued forth, that the steel 71.2 cuft tanks would last 274 years, accounting for one standard fill per day...................much longer than any aluminum tank est. at that time......probably still the same today.

I know almost everybody here, myself included, likes 72's. What's the consensus on 53's? I bid $10 each on a matching pair on E-bay about a month ago as I thought they were 72's. As it turns out, once I got the boot off of one of them and scraped the vinyl coating off, one of them was junk. The other I've got in being hydroed right now.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with the darn thing though. 53 cf just isn't much air and on paper the buoyancy characteristics don't look as good as a 72.

I think that's the end of my tank buying on e-bay. Between the purchase price and shipping it cost me $53 to get both tanks shipped to my door. If those had been two good 72's I'd have been happy as a clam. If they'd been two good 53's, I suppose I could at least have doubled them up, but the way it looks right now, I'm going to be in one 1800 psi lp53 to the tune of $100+ when all is said and done.

They did have some really neat valves on them though, with 1.5" diameter chrome knurled knobs.

i have my 53's doubled
bad break on the e bay........
i also use them single for the pool classes
better luck in the future
have fun
yaeg

E-bay hasn't been so good to me when it comes to tanks, but I've had very good luck on Craigslist.

I got a pair of double 50's in great shape for $100 and a pair of double 72's also in very good condition for $50. I've also got a pair of single 72's. I paid $10 for one and $25 for the other. At those prices, it costs me more to put them back into service than it does to buy them.

I've really got to build a tank tumbler.

Ok, you guys have completely lost me. 53's? Who made such a size tank? I am only aware of the 38's, 45's and some 50 cuft tanks of steel. But 1800psi 53's? Or am I misreading all the above?

Some one educate me porfavor?

Oldmossback

I tried to unload rather cheaply some decent tanks. What I asked is not what I expected to get paid, as everyone likes to barter. NOBODY wanted them. What I didn't sell by the time I wound up moving, got thrown into a scrap pile. Even had a mini set of 50 doubles. Now I wished I would have kept the one galvanized set I had. I even put up a post in the vintage section. All gone now though, and the last one I had given to me I gave to ZKY.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vintage-equipment-diving/208329-fs-tanks-am-i-breaking-rules.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom