Virginia killings Moderation decisions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't know a lot about American politics or most of the people who are being mentioned here. I was glad to read this though and realize that not everyone over there feels the same way as a large number of people on SB seem to. It's as if the guy was describing the discussion - and prevention of discussion - over here. Eerie!

In the end it's a simple question. What can be done to stop tragic events like this? I don't believe those who claim "nothing". If that was the case it would be more or less the same everywhere and it clearly isn't. Such things DO occur from time to time other places, but not with the same frequency. So why is that?

I'm not advocating anything in particular here - except finding a solution to an awful problem.

Kim:
In the end it's a simple question. What can be done to stop tragic events like this? I don't believe those who claim "nothing". If that was the case it would be more or less the same everywhere and it clearly isn't. Such things DO occur from time to time other places, but not with the same frequency. So why is that?

nothing is the right answer. not in this culture. not with the type and style of life we have here. not with the lack of mental/emotional safety nets of our culture

you can try to keep the guy from a gun and force him to do the killing with a knife or an SUV, but you can't prevent him from doing the killing if he wants to

why is American society prone to outbursts of violence is a different question. that's a sociological and historical one.

consider, for example, the high suicide rate for girls in South INdia (leads the world). why is that? or consider the honor kilings in Pakistan and Afghanistan. why is that? you can't understand those things outside their culture.

all cultures have degrees of violence and "styles" in which the violence is carried out. America's violence is higher and much more visible than most. and also a part of its history. you can't change that without changing America's history, and that's impossible

Why is this political crap continuing on SB? Kim, if you don't like our laws, fine. This is not the proper place to bring it up. Go somewhere where political discussion are not a VIOLATION OF TOS.

And quit whining.

Well Andy.....you can't stop terrorism either, but that doesn't seem to stop people spending billions trying to......

Kim:
Well Andy.....you can't stop terrorism either, but that doesn't seem to stop people spending billions trying to......

again, an inaposite point

anybody who thinks the US is "trying to stop terrorism" really needs a wake up call. i'm surprised you buy such rubbish.

ReefGuy:
Why is this political crap continuing on SB? Kim, if you don't like our laws, fine. This is not the proper place to bring it up. Go somewhere where political discussion are not a VIOLATION OF TOS.

And quit whining.
I didn't make any political argument at all, although that's all that seems to have been discussed for quite a few posts now. I'm just asking how can a solution to stuff like this be found. I presume you'd like one no? or not?

I'm not focusing on any one aspect. People have been talking about many different things - mental health issues, campus/school security, policing levels....and finally that which we are not allowed to mention. There might even be other angles that haven't been mentioned as well. If there's a problem, what's wrong with talking about possible solutions, and if we can't then why have the thread in the first place?

Yeah, and I'm sure that SB is the place where the answers will be found.

This whole thread violates TOS, but you don't seem to care.

Kim:
I didn't make any political argument at all, although that's all that seems to have been discussed for quite a few posts now. I'm just asking how can a solution to stuff like this be found. I presume you'd like one no? or not?

I'm not focusing on any one aspect. People have been talking about many different things - mental health issues, campus/school security, policing levels....and finally that which we are not allowed to mention. There might even be other angles that haven't been mentioned as well. If there's a problem, what's wrong with talking about possible solutions, and if we can't then why have the thread in the first place?

H2Andy:
again, an inaposite point

anybody who thinks the US is "trying to stop terrorism" really needs a wake up call. i'm surprised you buy such rubbish.
It's not ALL about the US Andy. We're ALL spending huge amounts of money on anti-terrorism measures. If it's not to try and prevent such attacks, or at least restrict them to as small a number as we can what are we doing it for?

Kim:
It's not ALL about the US Andy. We're ALL spending huge amounts of money on anti-terrorism measures. If it's not to try and prevent such attacks, or at least restrict them to as small a number as we can what are we doing it for?

political reasons ... give the populace a sense of security, and try to restrict them, as you say ... i don't think anyone in their right mind thinks they can be stopped

i thought you meant the US given the context of this discussion

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A thread that was initiated to discuss ScubaBoard policy has unfortunately devolved into a thread about politics anyway. It appears that we have discussed the policies enough and so this thread is closed. Feel free to PM me with any comments or questions.
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom