VISA For Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverken374

Contributor
Reaction score
2.5 hrs north of Toronto, Ont., Canada/Cozumel
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Planning a trip to Indonesia for next year. I am going to be staying more than 30 days so I need to get a visa to extend my trip. Is it best to do this prior to arriving in Indonesia or do I wait until I get there and apply for one? Starting off in Bali. I would appreciate any info from those that have done this. Thanks.

Planning a trip to Indonesia for next year. I am going to be staying more than 30 days so I need to get a visa to extend my trip. Is it best to do this prior to arriving in Indonesia or do I wait until I get there and apply for one? Starting off in Bali. I would appreciate any info from those that have done this. Thanks.

Here: Visa and Immigration Bali, Indonesia

Visa Extension - Extending your Stay
Staying longer - extending

If you know already beforehand that you would stay longer in Indonesia than 30 days then you might want to consider to apply for a 60day visa already abroad.
Or, You can enter also on a Visa on Arrival (VoA) whih is valid for 30 days, but can be extended here on Bali at the immigration offic or with the help of one of tha many agents. So remember, EVEN IF you come from a country that allows you to enter on a 30day free entry stamp, IF YOU WANT TO STAY LONGER you cannot do so with a free stamp. So get a Visa on Arrival anyway and pay the 35US$, because this can be extended ONCE without you having to leave the country. Local visa agents help if you do not want to go on your own to the immigration office for this extension. There are many agents on Bali that offer this kind of service (cost ca. US$ 80).

Technically you can also decide to simply "overstay" and pay a "fine" when leaving (IDR 300.000 for every day that you overstayed - see above).

Extending abroad

Here on Bali, go to a visa agent and obtain a sponsor letter (ca. US$ 20) and leave the country to e.g. Singapore (flight ca. US$100) or KL. Another agent in Singapore with whom your local agent is in touch, will help you to get a 60days social visa (ca. US$ 150 incl. agent), which takes at least one day to process (same day express service might be possible for an extra charge.

So technically you could do something like that:
Arrive on a Visa on Arrival - 30days (not the free stamp!)
Extend once the VoA - 30 days, here on Bali
Ask a visa agent to help you to get a social visa, and leave for Singapore for one or two days, get an extra - 60 days

i would get a 60 day visa prior enter Indonesia...there is nothing more annoying than dealing with bureaucracy while in Holiday, especially if you plan to move around ...

I suggest you get a 60 day visa prior to arrival. I see your listed as Ontario, start here
- you will notice, depending on where you live in Ontario, there is an exception for Ottawa vs. Toronto Indonesian Embassies. Why worry about getting an extension in the middle of your holiday. If you are off on a liveaboard or at a remote resort this may not be possible for you to do.

One thing to note, if you are applying abroad, we have had divers mention that there have been issues getting visas pre-approved for West Papua. So, if you are traveling to Raja Ampat, just leave that information out. Once you are in the country the visa is not restricted to travel there, however sometimes it's an issue w/the Embassies pre-approving.

Have a wonderful holiday. Get ready to be amazed!

I suggest you get a 60 day visa prior to arrival. I see your listed as Ontario, start here
- you will notice, depending on where you live in Ontario, there is an exception for Ottawa vs. Toronto Indonesian Embassies. Why worry about getting an extension in the middle of your holiday. If you are off on a liveaboard or at a remote resort this may not be possible for you to do.

One thing to note, if you are applying abroad, we have had divers mention that there have been issues getting visas pre-approved for West Papua. So, if you are traveling to Raja Ampat, just leave that information out. Once you are in the country the visa is not restricted to travel there, however sometimes it's an issue w/the Embassies pre-approving.

Have a wonderful holiday. Get ready to be amazed!

Thanks to all for their helpful information. Yes going to apply for a visa extension prior to arriving there. I agree I do not need that aggravation while I am there. This is my second trip to the area. I did a two week Raj Ampat live aboard in November 2015. I was travelling solo so did not spend any other time there. Yes I was amazed that is why I jumped on the chance to return this time much longer and with some of my dive buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom