Visiting from Cleveland Jan 24-26 and I want to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwayssummer

Fish out of Water
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Jan 27-30 I have to work in Tampa. It would appear that flight prices are remarkably similar whether I fly in the 24th or the 26th, as is the price of a rental car. :D

So, I'm looking for ideas on two topics: where to dive and where to stay on an almost non-existent budget. I'm willing to drive a few hours (the car has unlimited miles, so why not?).

Sleeping: I don't want to spend a fortune on hotels. All I really need from a hotel/motel is that it provide a secure place to store my gear and not too many roaches. Working plumbing helps to rinse the gear too.

Diving: I will need access to a shop that can provide tanks, since I can't bring my own. So that will have to be planned for. Also, I'd prefer warmer waters where possible.

Dive buddies: PM me if you'd like to dive with me!

I think that's it! Thanks all!

Edit: I might even be able to do some after work diving during the week if anyone has ideas for that.

On an almost non-existent budget, you can stay at my house. It rents for $8,000 per day:D The best ocean diving is going be on the east coast. You might want to fly into Ft Lauderdale or West Palm (your choice), do a weekend of diving around there, and then drive to Tampa for work. That drive isn't to bad

On an almost non-existent budget, you can stay at my house. It rents for $8,000 per day:D The best ocean diving is going be on the east coast. You might want to fly into Ft Lauderdale or West Palm (your choice), do a weekend of diving around there, and then drive to Tampa for work. That drive isn't to bad

:depressed: If $8,000/day is low budget for you guys I'm gonna be in big trouble.

By almost non-existent budget, I thought you meant price wasn't an obstacle, such as you were traveling on expense report and the boss wouldn't care! Stay away from the beaches and you will find plenty of reasonably priced hotels from the chains. Heck, I've used Priceline.com and gotten great rates on beachfront hotels. I think it was 2 years ago I got a 5 star on Miami Beach for like $60 a night from Priceline.

You defintely want to hit the other coast. The water will be warmer and the viz will be better. My personal recomendation is Sandy's Sunday. It's a great boat and the staff is top notch. They can also supply your dive buddy in case you can't get anyone to go with you from here. We all like the diving over here but if you are coming in from out of town for a short trip you gotta hit that side.

You might want to fly into Ft Lauderdale or West Palm (your choice), do a weekend of diving around there, and then drive to Tampa for work.

Flights look good into Orlando, actually. Anything worth diving up in that area?

Flights look good into Orlando, actually. Anything worth diving up in that area?

You'd still want to drive south, at least down to Jupiter. I've never heard of good diving off Cocoa, the closest beach to Orlando. I actually called a dive shop there a few months back to pick their brain and there response was "Drive to West Palm"... However, if you want to experience some awesome springs diving (something you may not have even considered) post up and you will get tons of info!

You defintely want to hit the other coast. The water will be warmer and the viz will be better. My personal recomendation is Sandy's Sunday. It's a great boat and the staff is top notch. They can also supply your dive buddy in case you can't get anyone to go with you from here. We all like the diving over here but if you are coming in from out of town for a short trip you gotta hit that side.

I agree. Here's a link to Sandy's website: OceanQuest Scuba

Thanks for very good info! I am excited to get out and dive.

Two words in regards to lodging. Super Bowl.

Fortunately work will be paying for that part of it. It's the arriving early stuff that will be my responsibility to pay.

You'd still want to drive south, at least down to Jupiter. However, if you want to experience some awesome springs diving (something you may not have even considered) post up and you will get tons of info!

Springs sound pretty cool. Where should I post for recommendations on that? I wonder if I might have enough time to do both. Jupiter is pretty far out of the way, though. That's the big thing that's holding me back from diving there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom