visiting portland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflylow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be in the portland area in August for a few weeks and am interested in what kind of diving (besides the underwater kind!) is available. I live in Okinawa Japan now and am pretty spoiled with the water temps (today was 80 degrees) but am interested in diving dry suits and a new environment.

I am a NAUI master diver and have almost completed my NAUI Assistant Instructor. I have just over 270 dives completed with my last 20 or so being doubles (twin 80's, EAN 32). I also completed my GUE DIR fundamentals course last year.

I'd like to dive at least one day if not two days while there. Any suggestions?

Hi Eric ...

Most Portland-area divers I know head up to either the Puget Sound or Hood Canal for their local diving. There are some dives out on the coast ... but it's nearly as far to travel in that direction as to head north.

If you decide to head north, let me know. It's about a three-hour drive from Portland to most popular Puget Sound dive sites ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You can do some diving in the Garabaldi area, Netarts or Nehalem bay. All are a resonable drive from Portland with Garabaldi being the closest. Drop me a line and I'll try to give you a little more detail.

Scott

NWGratefulDiver:
Hi Eric ...
Most Portland-area divers I know head up to either the Puget Sound or Hood Canal for their local diving. There are some dives out on the coast ... but it's nearly as far to travel in that direction as to head north.
There is good reason for that, the diving in both of those places is better than any of the diving I've done on the Oregon Coast.

Portland is a beautiful city to visit. I grew up there. Be sure to visit the downtown visitor's center in Pioneer Square. If you go there on a Tuesday, my Dad volunteers there. You can't miss the guy with the Scottish accent.

Thanks for the good info. As I get a little closer to the trip and my schedule is a bit more confirmed, I'll be sending a few PMs out for more details...

What brings you to Portland? Besides the opportunity to dive.....

rakjar:
What brings you to Portland? Besides the opportunity to dive.....

My Mom moved there a few years ago so we visit from time to time. I have only been there three times so far but have really enjoyed the area.

I live in Japan now so don't visit as often as I'd like to but I always enjoy it there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom