Viz at Yonaguni Jima

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMatt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

Just wondering, on average, when Yonaguni Jima gets the best viz. Appreciate any responses :)

Cheers

SM

Its pretty awesome year round. Are you looking for sharks or the ruins or just general diving?

Schooling Hammer Heads would be icing on the cake but I guess the ruins are the main draw card :D Thanks heaps for the reply

Schooling hammerheads are Jan-Mar and a bit of April also. A bit colder water 23-25C or so. Summertime is good viz water temp 27-31C. Sept - Oct is great diving but also typhoon season.
Late fall through Dec is quite good temps slowly falling.

Last Sept only one I think, but on average I would say 2 or 3. Very small chance of hammerheads in Sept though.

Its pretty awesome year round. Are you looking for sharks or the ruins or just general diving?

Could you please take some time it telling us your personal take on the dive site. I have not heard much about it since CeeCee and her husband from Tori Station went there. Also former Retired Marine and PADI instructor "Fitz" got to go there while doing an Orion Beer CM. Take care and thanks.

Tony,
I have been diving the site since the late 90's (I organized the trips for C and Gary along with a few other to dive it.). I have assisted in the production of shows for Discovery, History Channel, NHK, BBC, Monty Hall and a few others over the years along with helping research dives for Professor Kimura and recently got to do some work with Professor Schoch in the area. I have 100's of dives on the monuments and the surrounding areas to include the main ruins site, the stage, the stadium and some unnamed deeper sites. Most of the active study of the site has stopped after Professor Kimura retired and submitted his latest finding on the site. There will probably never be a definitive answer on the site due to its age and location (underwater) which has destroyed any absolute proof of man-modification of the structures. The uniqueness of the structure in the area leads one to believe in man modification but even if not modified by man it would have served as a gathering place or place of interest to ancient man. The dive itself is awesome, also the surrounding sea life of Yonaguni is worth the trip in itself.

Thank you very much and I feel that it too is man made. In the words of Fitz, "what I saw there was not a natural feature." I have been wanting to do this dive for a very long time and I am almost at the point of realizing that I may never get the chance. I was going to do it this year but decided that I am more needed here as my wife and daughters are heading back to Okinawa for a couple of months.

OTOH, have you ever heard of a connection between Yonaguni and Ike Jima? Ike Jima holds some very interesting secrets. Itoman also has some secrets but not related to either Yonaguni ot Ike Jima.

Wow thanks for the back story. It'll make diving there all the more sweet. Thanks again JD :wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom