Vote: Dive Computer "Conservative" Setting?

Do you set your dive computer to more conservative than the standard model?

• Yes, I set my dive computer more conservative because some factors apply to me.

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • No, I use the standard model but add some conservatism by avoiding the limit..

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • No, I use the standard model and usually dive close to it's limit.s.

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • No, I even reduce the conservancy when possible

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Don't know or I don't have a computer.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1. My practice is to add conservatism for planned deco dives, but not for dives planned within NDLs.

Mind you, I dive with a D9 and it is plenty conservative enough even on the least conservative setting.

Are you OK reading the D9 U/W? Are all numbers big enough for your eye sight?

I recently started using the D9 and on the first dive with it I was surprised that I had difficulty reading the smallest number on the bottom right side of the D9 wrist display.

I use a Suunto D9 and a Galileo Sol and use both of them in the least conservative setting and on a recent trip to the Phillipines the Sol was still the most coservitive computer in the group I was diving with. Also my wife put magnafiers in her mask to be able to read the numbers on her D9.

Last edited:
There are so many variables in the programming of any dive computer, including dive profiles, repetitive dives, surface intervals, ascent/descent rates, tissue flush-outs, multiple diving days, and other factors that any two computers that you dive side by side will randomly flip-flop as to which is the more conservative. We experiment with this year round, diving different brands and models against each other so we have some validity to the data we share with our clients. The bottom line: just find what works with your body and dive it; there is no right and no wrong in this choice!

Back
Top Bottom