Vyper air black acting weird...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Tom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last month i bought a new Vyper air black. I calibrated the compass, set time and date, paired with the transmitter and went for a testdive. The vyper came with a usb-cable so i downloaded the dive, played around with the planner in DM4, tried the simulator on the vyper and went trough the menus. No problems so far.
Last week I went diving again and i noticed the time and date were wrong but i couldn't be bothered with it, who cares about the time, right? During the dive i didn't see anything out of the normal untill i surfaced. My air was running low, but when i reached the surface the vyper suddenly showed 236Bar, wich dropped to 169Bar in 1 breath. I also noticed the time had changed again... According to the vyper i got out of the water about an hour BEFORE i went in?!?!? I checked the log to fill in my paper logbook and it only had the testdive in it, my dive wasn't logged.
Since it wasn't a deep dive i waited a few hours and dove again. This time i took my D6i with me because i don't trust the vyper anymore, but also my vyper for comparrison. During the dive they both told me the same, my air, depth, divetime,... everything was the same. Except for the compass, this was stuck on "north" on the vyper. I thought everything was ok since they both showed me the same details, but again the vyper didn't log the dive.
is the vyper faulty or did i do something wrong?

kind regards,

Aquatic Tom

I assume you corrected the Time/Date again before the last dive, still showing no log... wild guess try changing the battery and throw it in a pool (if can) and see. Otherwise probably wise to send to factory, if nothing else can be determined. Perhaps just a call to the manufacture might prompt an answer if you get a hold of a knowledgeable person.

Sounds like it may have gotten stuck in plan or simulator mode.

@Amoney: no, i didn't change the time or date before the second dive. I didn't think that could be the problem and i just took it with me to compare to my D6i. I've set the time and date again, but i haven't re-calibrated the compass yet. The battery should be still ok since the vyper is brand new and when i put it on it says "battery ok". But i'll try it anyway and drop it into the pool for 15min.

@Malpaso: sounds plausible, any idea how to get it unstuck?

---------- Post added June 29th, 2014 at 08:31 PM ----------

I was just browsing the simulator to check if it was stuck, but everything worked. All of a sudden the vyper resetted itself. The screen went blank, showed me the software-version and went into time-mode wich was resetted. Dive-mode was set back to air, nitrox was resetted,... I again went to the simulator and after a minute it again resetted itself...
persistant as i am i tried it once more, trying to recreate what i just did, but nothing happened...
i think i better go back to the shop and demand a new one...

Tom,

If you purchased your computer less than a month ago you should have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, which in return your local dealer should replace your computer. If you are out of the 30 day window, you can bring your computer back to your local dealer and have them send it in to an authorized Suunto service center, where it will be evaluated. If something is determined to be defective then your computer will be replaced at no charge by the service center. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Hi Chris,

unfortunately it has been 36days since purchase... I am satisfied with my suunto products, but i think this particular unit is faulty. I'm bringing it in to my dealer today and we'll see what happens. Luckely i have two dive computers, so i can keep diving. I'll keep you updated.
kind regards,
Tom

update:

I went back to the diveshop and explained what happened. The owner of the shop took the vyper out of the box and it was completely dead. He exchanged it for a new one and asked me to send him an e-mail with all the details, wich I did. (it was my first purchase in this shop, but the owner gained a new customer with this super service)
I will use this new vyper only in dive mode and stay away from my laptop. Is it possible something went wrong by plugging it into my laptop?
I'm still wondering if I did something wrong with it, or was it just bad luck? (as we call it in Belgium: "a monday morning product" :wink:)
Thank you all for your advice and thinking with me what could be wrong.

with kind regards,

Aquatic Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom